• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Compost - Ph Level - Very Acidic Help

I don't know if this is my imagination, but I'm pissed about something. A couple of weeks ago I built a few new raised beds. I bought what was sold to me as 50/50% top soil/compost off a guy on Craigslist (5 yards). The truck gets to my house and I inspect the soil. It looks nice and black and crumbly. I suspect it's a much higher ratio of compost to top soil if not all compost. This guy wouldn't disclose where the product was from, but claimed he sold hundreds of yards of it locally. I suspect municipal compost facility, but I'm not sure. I don't have a lot of problem with this if the case. I mixed in some cow manure, peat moss and sand in the beds too.

Fast forward to today. My father-in-law finds a great Ph meter and gives it to me today as a gift. I never saw anything like it, but it's awesome. Kind of an old school relic. :) I've always been very curious about a way to hit a dead accurate reading on my soil Ph as I suspected issues in places. I goto my various raised beds (9-10 of them). My old ones read in the 6.5-6.8 range...cool. I can live with that. Some of my pots are lower (5.8 or so) - understandable given the high peat composition. I believe the meter is accurate after testing it in vinegar, tomatoes, and other basic materials.

I goto these beds filled with the new mixture, drop the meter in there, and get 3.5 - 4.0!! OMG. What in the hell did this dude sell me? I can't grow in that stuff? I'm hoping someone didn't piss int he soil or something. I never, never, never will buy from a non-nursery again. :( I can add a bunch of lime to increase Ph for next season, but the real issue is what do I have to begin with, right? What could generate a Ph that low? It appeared fully composted. I thought I was saving $50-$60, but maybe I cost myself money and effort. Lesson learned, huh? I can grow blueberries. :)

I'll be calling this guy to get more info next week. I need to know when it's an edible garden.

Chris

Chris if the compost was composed of leaves and wood chippings (most commercial bulk type
blends) then tannic acid may be causing the problem. Sometimes the product isn't decomposed enough to release all the acid, or they didn't add limestone to the mix to adjust the PH.
I always check to see if the product is ph adjusted, and I prefer a wetting agent included
in the mix too, costs more, but produces better plants.

You might have an issue with your ph meter calibration. I've done literally thousands of soil samples in Georgia and I've never seen ph that low. Georgia has very acidic soil. Soil naturally turns acidic over a long period of time, but it's sped up if the soil has been regularly farmed. I would hate to think that something foreign is causing a problem. I also have no idea where you're located. If you're in the US you should have a county extension service that will do an analysis for less than $10

I hope he isn't using waste treatment plant stuff.
Stuff like Kellogs Growmulch (made from sewage waste treatment stuff) has lots of heavy metals,medication residue,you name it,it's in it.
We used to use Growmulch under sod grass before we laid it down.It was really acid by itself but I don't remember the PH#.
Might want to send some of that stuff off to be tested.
Does it glow at night?
Did you see worms/bugs in it when you were filling your beds?If not it might have bad stuff in it...as in toxic.
I'd get it tested.

I'll check my meter again and try a different one too. Thanks Butch for the advice. Being cheap never freakin' pays in the long run. Unfortunately, we have few nurseries here to choose from so it sucks. i put an e-mail into the supplier quizzing him, but I'm not holding my breath.

Smokemaster, crap if that's the case. The last thing I need is to have any heavy metals/medication/pesticide materials. I've had my share of health issues the last 3 years. I most definitely will send it out to be tested regardless. I'm not sure a basic county extension soil test would cover that detail thouhg. Our soil testing in Michigan is $17+. I wish it was $10, but for this instance. hell yes I'll do it. I didn't see one living creature in it Mike. I never do in compost I have. However, my buddy has a garden filled with city compost and grows phenomenal plants. Hopefully, it's not the nuclear waste helping those plants. lol. Thepoppiper (Dale) too uses a crapload of it successfully.

The question is DID this guy even buy from a city facility. I'm hoping he didn't get it somewhere shadier like over a wasteland. :( How do you know?

Chris

Never see any worms in your compost?

Must be our weather here in Ca. ,but I always find worms in even the city stuff.

Maybe our warm,year round weather breaks down the chewed up goodies faster or something.

Our city stuff also has lots of broken glass in it too.
A lot of people put 1/8th inch screan over their pickup truck and sift the compost through it at the cities pick up yard so they don't have to mess with as much garbage when they get home...

Bummer !! pH meters depending on what type can be wrong. Those cheap prong types are worth a thing. You need a meter you check and correct if needed. But with a difference that's so great something is up.

I had my soil tested . They told me the pH and gave a complete break down. They weren't testing for toxins but I think these places do that. I think you'd be wise to spend the bucks and find out FOR SURE what's in there. You'll sleep better and if it is jacked up you can give that gut a copy and tell him to come get it. Or you'll list him on Craigslist as a toxic waste dealer.

Here's who I used, I'm sure there's someone close that's much the same. http://www.servitechlabs.com/

Peace & good luck,

P. Dreadie

Back