• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Compost tea recipe for young plants?

I got my compost tea kit today and I have the airstones going in a gallon of water right now.

I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for these plants. They vary in size from just cotys to 2 sets of true leaves.

Materials available for the brew are:

Worm castings

Souluble kelp powder
(0-0-17)

Soft rock phosphate
(0-3-0)

Azomite (0-0-0.2)

Sea-90

Alfalfa meal (3-2-2)

Dry molasses

Fish hydrolysate (2-3-1)

Sunflower hull ash
(0-6-36)

Soluble mycorrhizae fungi

Any input is appreciated!

20190204_144906.jpg

Kit was 50 plus 19 for shipping. Wish I would have tried this code lol so 45 since we already bought one lol

20190204_150121.jpg

Nice kit! Worm castings probably hold most of your beneficials. The molasses is a like an activator for bacteria-dominant tea. Kelp powder and alfalfa meal are good food sources for a fungal tea (also sunflower hull ash and any other plant materials). I think fish is supposed to be fungus food too. The rock phosphate and trace minerals are said to be good for the archaea to attach to and colonize. Mycorrhizae shouldn't be bubbled, mix it into the tea just prior to feeding plants.
If they gave you a recipe for established plants, then for seedlings you could probably use that but start with smaller doses across the board or just dilute it with water after brewing. Or just improvise a tea including the basics: worm castings, molasses, alfalfa, and pinch of kelp. Maybe fish hydrolysate too. Personally, I've been feeding it in between tea drenches.

The recipes came in pdf form and they aren't loadi g on my phone lol. A lot of the ingredients say how much to use on the bags though. I might just whip something up and see what happens.

That's half of what the packages say.

And I left out the fish hydrosalate

I'm excited to use this, been wanting too since the first time I heard of it

A lot of the plants were pretty dry last night so they got a little water, letting them dry out today. The kids wanna help me give them the tea, so sometime this evening I will give it to them

I fed it to them, some got a diluted version because it was going faster than I expected, and added a little over 1/4 of a gallon.

Hopefully they explode with nice new growth while I'm sleeping lol.

Compost tea is great for new gardens, but serves to increase the microbial population rapidly. They will die again very rapidly as well, especially if there is not a good environment for them

Every 3 months for the first year of a garden is probably enough. I don't think you'd see benefit from an established organic garden

PtMD989 said:
So do you have to keep aerating the tea after you get it activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once it's finished brewing, you have to use it. Continuing to aerate it will not maintain stable microbe colonies. They multiply in the aerated solution, consume the activator aka food source aka molasses, and they produce waste. After 48 hours, they run out of food and start to consume each other, and the whole liquid environment starts to become toxic with their poops. Some say you can refrigerate for a day after brewing.

Back