• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Composting lemons?

Would it be a bad idea to throw lemons in my compost pile?
I have a lot sometimes and I wonder if all the acid would be bad for the compost. :think:

That would depend on the size of your compost pile in relation to the amount of lemons or any sort of citrus.
I've read that having a small worm composter is not a good mix for more than an occasional citrus peel, or that something small in size where its fed occasional kitchen scraps is not a good mixture due to the antibacterial properties of the citrus.
However, those things mold the same as anything else, and I've always tossed them in to my out door compost bins with out any negative effect. They break down just the same as anything else. The only time I've seen an acid cause problems was when I dumped several quarts of old home canned pickles in to the compost pile, the vinegar seemed to stunt it for a couple of weeks. Even now, with the kind of margarita and mojhito fan that I am and the copious amounts of limes I go though, they break down quicker than anything in my pile.

If you are balancing out the compost pile with the other required ingredients, citrus should not be a problem other than the worms do not like it so much, but they will adapt. Maybe throw a handful of lime in with them each time?

I've just been googling this topic cos I'm trying to get my new bin going.

The worms won't touch them until they are decomposed by the bacteria first. The misconception that citrus is bad for compost is because pesticides used to use oils and citrus extracts, and that could therefore kill your good compost bugs. But the killing chemicals were added to the citrus and they aren't dangerous on their own.

If you are trying to make a compost bin from just the massive leftovers of a juice bar where it is all orange peel and pulp that would be an acid problem. Any less than that is fine as long as you keep to the regular dry and wet compost ratios.

I've read you can dry out wedges of orange and lemon peel and use them as firelighters too!

Back