• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Comptine's Veggie Glog

Hello friends! 

I thought I would start a separate glog for everything non chilli. Now, I haven't started anything quite yet, but planning is very important for a successful grow. I started by doing a quick inventory of what I had. I plan on putting down my second batch of pepper seeds at the end of the month and starting the tomatoes roughly 10 days after that. 

Turns out someone went a little crazy when buying cucumbers, I have 24 varieties, and at the most space to grow 20, and that's if there's only one plant per type. Amongst the seeds we have one type of cucumber that supposedly yields up to 400 fruits per plant. I also have two different white varieties.

Not the best picture possible, but it demonstrates my point. 

The tomato seeds were not quite as overwhelming luckily, I should be able to grow all of the seeds I have. 

I'm still a little undecided on the sweet peppers honestly, I might grow some of the purple/black ones as a novelty thing, but at the end of the day, sweet pepper take a lot of space and don't yield that many fruits. (Yes, I'm aware a chilli seed pack snuck into the picture)

And after that I have various of other things I plan on growing. 

The list is as follows:
15 Cherry tomato plants
10 Large tomato plants 
20 Cucumbers
5 Aubergines (1 per variety)
5 ish Courgettes 
10 ish pea plants
20-30 bean plants (as soon as I figure out if they are pole or bush beans) 
Leeks (lots - both in raised beds and containers)
Green onions of some sort
Chard
Kale
Beets
Radish
Carrots
Garlic (that was planted a few months back before winter hit us)
Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Mint, Parsley and Dill will be on the list. 
Possible cabbage

The beans were sent to me by a friend in Kentucky, which I'm very grateful for. The varieties are Cherokee Trail of Tears Pole Bean, Colombian Lizard Bean, Good Mother Stallard Bean, Red Anasazi Bean, Zuni Gold Bean, Calypso, Mayflower. If anyone has grown these before I'd love to hear from you on how they grow, I find that google was a little limited on these, some seem quite uncommon.

The cucumbers and tomatoes are mostly seeds bought in Russia, I'm not sure if they've changed the name on a lot of them or if they are different varieties altogether. I guess I'll try to write them out as I update, it's just a little to much to list right now. It's entirely possible I'll add more plants to the list, but that will most likely happen a lot later. 

Nice list!
I see no cilantro...
You can try Patisson squash too.

Edit: are these Russian seeds from another forum? Do you know somebody Maxim? (Yes, I know, Russia is big, not many chances to be the same guy...).

rghm1u20 said:
Nice list!
I see no cilantro...
You can try Patisson squash too.

Edit: are these Russian seeds from another forum? Do you know somebody Maxim? (Yes, I know, Russia is big, not many chances to be the same guy...).

Cheers! I'm sure I'll buy a cilantro plant at some point too. These are just the ones that I'm growing from seed, with the exception of the thyme and rosemary that I still have in the ground from last year, I'm hoping they survive the winter. 

I actually have seeds for what looks like the Pattison Squash. Might try them out, depends a little on space. 

I was offering russian sweet pepper seeds if that's what you're referring to. My mum is russian, so whenever she goes there she picks seeds up for me. No idea who Maxime is, sorry.

No, I just asked because I know a Russian guy on other forum, and I saw a lot of those Russian seed packs.

I tried last year to have some Patisson, but went wrong, no squash. I ate pickled Patisson, and it was great! I hope this year will have at least few of them in my garden.

Curious to see your tomatoes.

dragonsfire said:
Awesome List lol
Making lots of Hot Pickles ? :)

No, I've never made pickles. We do make lots of marmalades though. That we give away. lol. We only really consume most of the stuff fresh, or make roast veggies. Not massive fans of conserver things. But homemade marmalades and syrups and stuff make great gifts, and all the people that have received them really enjoy them. Mango and Jalapeño marmalade was super popular last year actually. 

Nice list you have there and I wish you the best of luck. This year I'm growing several different Bell Type Sweet peppers from the Middle East Region. I grow rosemary, thyme, 2 types of oregano, 2 types of Bay Laurel, sweet basil, marjoram, chives, 100 garlic,100 walla walla onion, sage, cilantro, Italian parsley and I'm going to grow challots and celery as well.

I will have 20 tomato plants of different varieties, 6 cucumbers, 6 zucchini, lots of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, several different lettuce varieties (now at 50 plants), swiss chard, kale, spinach. 

I also have over 20 berry plants in my garden- strawberry varieties, blueberry varieties, raspberry varieties, blackberry, lingonberry and Goji berry.

My goal is not to have to go to the store for any fruits or vegetables this year. I also have 15 fruit trees.

PS- I enjoy the "other" just as much as I do growing the hot peppers.

SavinaRed said:
Nice list you have there and I wish you the best of luck. This year I'm growing several different Bell Type Sweet peppers from the Middle East Region. I grow rosemary, thyme, 2 types of oregano, sweet basil, marjoram, chives, 100 garlic,100 walla walla onion, sage, cilantro, Italian parsley and I'm going to grow challots and celery as well.

I will have 20 tomato plants of different varieties, 6 cucumbers, 6 zucchini, lots of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, several different lettuce varieties (now at 50 plants), swiss chard, kale, spinach. 

I also have over 20 berry plants in my garden- strawberry varieties, blueberry varieties, raspberry varieties, blackberry, lingonberry and Goji berry.

My goal is not to have to go to the store for any fruits or vegetables this year. I also have 15 fruit trees.

PS- I enjoy the "other" just as much as I do growing the hot peppers.

Sounds like you have a very exciting grow ahead of you as well. Please do keep us updated! I know this is mainly a pepper forum, but truthfully it's the only forum I'm on, so seeing others grow things other than peppers is fun! I wish more people had veggie glogs on here. 

Does your climate allow for all year round growing considering you wanting to be independent for fruits and veg? We have a very limited growing season here unfortunately. I might be able to keep some winter veggies going a bit longer, but we get hit with temperatures even they don't withstand eventually. 

We have 2 apple trees, 3 cherry trees and 4 plum trees in my garden. They all seem to produce fruit on alternating years, last year was the year of the cherry. One tree was absolutely packed, the birds don't like the sour varieties very much so we get to keep a lot of the fruit from that. This year we expect apples and plums.

This is what one cherry tree looked like in terms of fruit.

Oh, we also have some strawberries, raspberry bushes, blueberry and a red currant bush.

Wow nice cherry tree !!!!!!!!!

Our weather seldom goes below 32* and when it does I protect the trees that need frost protection. Right now that is only 2 Avocado trees. I have 3 other Avocado trees that can handle the low-mid 20's. I have 1 satsumo mandarin orange, 1 dwarf navel orange, 1 key lime, 1 dwarf meyer. All my Citrus and Avocados are in containers. The trees planted in the ground are a plum tree, granny smith apple,fuji apple, nectarine and peach tree.

Last season was my first full year with my dwarf Wertz Avocado and mexicoli which each produced around 3 dozen fruits. I added 3 other tress this season. A Bacon, Pinkerton and Holiday. With these trees I should be able to have fresh avocados year round as they are all harvested at different times of the year and some overlap.

My lime and lemon have produced both years so far and my peach, nectarine and plum are in there 2nd season and are loaded with new growth and blossoms. There were well over 100 bees on my nectarine tree in bloom yesterday.

3 years ago I never thought I would be enjoying gardening like I do now, its my favorite past time.

SavinaRed said:
Wow nice cherry tree !!!!!!!!!

3 years ago I never thought I would be enjoying gardening like I do now, its my favorite past time.

Thank you! That was only a small part of the tree. It's so tall that we can't get up to the higher portion of it at all. Absolutely massive, we're so happy with it. We cut another cherry tree down last year because it produced so little, and the fruit it did set the birds got to first. 

I could not grow any of those trees here, not outside anyway. It's fairly common for us to hit -25C (-13F) during winter. It has occasionally been colder, but not often. 

I hear you about the gardening. Last year was my first year and it was so much fun. Best part was eating the produce! I picked off cucumbers and tomatoes constantly and just snacked on them. I did enjoy starting everything from seed and following the progress as well. I'm definitely better prepared this year, last year was just learn as you go along. 

I am surprised that you aren't planting any potatoes. I really enjoy growing them, I think the tastes compared to store bought is exceptional. They are also super easy to grow. 

pa1966stang said:
I am surprised that you aren't planting any potatoes. I really enjoy growing them, I think the tastes compared to store bought is exceptional. They are also super easy to grow. 

Completely forgot about potatoes! I will probably plant a few in buckets, we did last year and that was fun! At this point though we're running out of space. There are so many things I want to try, but the backyard still has to have space for a trampoline, and we have a small bbq area where I might put some plants. I'm sure I'll be posting pictures later. Right now it's all covered in snow again, so the pictures won't be the best. 

This is a picture of when I was just setting up the raised beds. The two closest to the greenhouse are now double stacked. That's where my runner beans, peas, and carrots, maybe beets and spinach pak choi will go. The middle one I transplanted thyme and rosemary into, I might put some dill or parsley there, and maybe some more beets. The second from the camera will be radishes and leeks. And the closest to the camera is already completely filled with garlic. The bbq area is sort of visible next to the greenhouse on the right side, it looks like lots of bushes. My mum has planted flowers around it, but I hope to squeeze in a few pots on the inside. I have three more raised beds, one is occupied by starwberries, and then I have two more to figure out what to do with. I think one will be used for swiss chard and mint, and maybe dill and parsley too. 

Back