• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Container size

Well this new thread was started in hopes of acquiring information from those with experience growing 7pot jonahs, I've got my seeds from Jim Duffy. (he's the man) Yet I've only grown three of these once. Might I add that it was almost a complete failure as I tried growing them indoors under less than good conditions. Anyways I've got a greenhouse outside and that will be this next generations new home. They will be started indoors in a Secret Jardin grow tent with all the bells and whistles (no games this time). Yet as far as when they are up potted I was wondering if a 3 gallon would be good for there permanent home? I'm not really planning on overwintering these since its for production. Would the three gallon suffice for an entire season? good yields,etc? It'd be much appreciated. (Also considering doing a couple reapers and douglahs btw)
Thanks guys.

3 Gallon would be enough to get you a yield, how good, I can't say. Ive got two plants right now in 5L pots, they are pushing out pods left right and center(not super hots though). My super hots are in 19 - 25L buckets. Your plant will grow in accordance with your root system. A small root system will give a small plant which in turn, small yield. The biggest you can go, the better. Is there any particular reason you plan to use small pots?

Welcome to the forum!

If they are going in a greenhouse i wouldn't use anything smaller than 5 gallons. I use a greenhouse and my plants are in 10 gallon root pouches. The bigger the root mass the bigger the plant thus bigger yields.

Thanks to you both. The reason I'm using three gallon pots is mainly because my grow partners theory is the bigger the plant gets its just gonna be prolific as opposed to having a big yield. I would beg to differ. Yet I had a killer run this ending season with a red scotch bonnet in a 2 gallon which produced about 2lbs worth of pods. Yeah he's just opposed to having a big plant cause he feels its gonna be more leaf than fruit.

7potquezada said:
Thanks to you both. The reason I'm using three gallon pots is mainly because my grow partners theory is the bigger the plant gets its just gonna be prolific as opposed to having a big yield. I would beg to differ. Yet I had a killer run this ending season with a red scotch bonnet in a 2 gallon which produced about 2lbs worth of pods. Yeah he's just opposed to having a big plant cause he feels its gonna be more leaf than fruit.
that is untrue. More space more fruit

This makes sense yet how would one be able to make the most out of 3 large bales of Sunshine mix#4 and a 30 Liter bag of worm castings? They're Vital Earth's "mega worm" castings. WIthin a homemade greenhouse outdoors. We're planning on using traditional nursery pots.

Back