• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Containers vs. ground

I am having trouble believing the difference. I started a banana pepper and a Siletz (determinate) and Beefsteak tomato in pots maybe two days, three at most, before putting similar ones from the same flat in the ground. The ones in the containers are at least double the size, and it has only been about 10 days, two weeks at most.

All the plants are outside, not in the exact same location but close enough that the amount of sunlight they get is not much different, if different at all.

The dirt was pretreated with some 10-10-10 fert, the containers have not had any ferts added at all, though I did add red mulch at the top of the containers.

I will try to take some pix after working on my erection a bit more - still have three side panels, the doors and the roof to go, but won't be able to exactly compare apples to apples. I know what plant is in what container (the Siletz has a cage) but don't have a clue which tom is which in the garden. I mix them up, just in case one part of the garden doesn't have great dirt. I'll know when I harvest them, though!

Mike

It all depends on what plants you use, how big the pot is, soil, dranage, etc etc. Tomatoes like to streach out (as far as the roots go) and pots prevent that.

Also, looks aren't everything, you have amount of fruit bared, taste of fruit, size of fruit to take into account.

wordwiz said:
I am having trouble believing the difference. I started a banana pepper and a Siletz (determinate) and Beefsteak tomato in pots maybe two days, three at most, before putting similar ones from the same flat in the ground. The ones in the containers are at least double the size, and it has only been about 10 days, two weeks at most.

All the plants are outside, not in the exact same location but close enough that the amount of sunlight they get is not much different, if different at all.

The dirt was pretreated with some 10-10-10 fert, the containers have not had any ferts added at all, though I did add red mulch at the top of the containers.

I will try to take some pix after working on my erection a bit more - still have three side panels, the doors and the roof to go, but won't be able to exactly compare apples to apples. I know what plant is in what container (the Siletz has a cage) but don't have a clue which tom is which in the garden. I mix them up, just in case one part of the garden doesn't have great dirt. I'll know when I harvest them, though!

Mike

:D try the little blue pill

imaguitargod said:
It all depends on what plants you use, how big the pot is, soil, dranage, etc etc. Tomatoes like to streach out (as far as the roots go) and pots prevent that.

Also, looks aren't everything, you have amount of fruit bared, taste of fruit, size of fruit to take into account.

Iggy,

Obviously, the proof will be in the produce this summer/fall. But I consider this an experiment, as I want to grow stuff indoors later. I don't think the determinate will outgrow its space - the one at the office has nice roots in hydro but nothing like Williard's fav pic where the thing has legs!

At the worst, I'm out 12 gallons or so of potting soil and some mulch, both which were already bought and paid for.

Mike

Well, that tomato plant has baby tomatoes on it already, and it was not close to blooming when I transplanted it. Not sure if it will bear fruit by Independence Day (the Gold Standard for an early mater in Cincy) but it shouldn't be long after it.

64tom.jpg

My banana pepper also has a baby or two (scroll down a bit to see the biggest one):

64banana.jpg

Finally, I'm going for the THP record for tallest plant grown in one year. This is a Kenaf Hibiscus and the heart is 35" from the ground. Despite not the best weather the past three days, it grew six inches this week. If the killing frost holds off as late as it did last year (middle of October), it would have close to 20 weeks to grow. At 1/2 foot a week, that would make it 13 feet tall before it dies. Perhaps using some ammonia nitrate every three weeks or so could add a couple of feet, meaning a tree 15 feet tall - in six months! BTW, those are Linda's friends beside it!

64hibiscus.jpg

Mike

While everything looks good, us hop growers will have you beat for the talled plant grown in one season. Hops grow an average of a foot a day at the most vigorous periods and end up being 30 feet long. ;)

Back