• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking Cooked 2 batches of tasty Hot sauce. Looking for a recipe for a third one. Suggestions?

Hi. Over the last 2 weeks I cooked 2 different hot sauces they both turned out delicious.

Sauce #1: Based on tomatoes. Carolina reapers, ghosts etc., some lime juice, vinegar, onions, garlic, salt. Roasted, blended, simmered and then filled into flasks. Delicious but Extremely hot.

Sauce #2: Based on Peach, Mango and added Persimmon to make it sweeter. Carolina Reapers, Yellow ghosts, and some more carolina reapers, lime juice, vinegbar, onions, garlic, salt. Again - Roasted, blended, boiled and simmered, filled into flasks. Delicious and EXTREMELY hot.

Now I'm looking for a recipe to cook sauce 3.

I really like the two above, and eat it a lot with my meals, but a lot of people I share it with wished it didn't "sear" as much, so Basically I want it to be more mild (so I'm gonna use only habaneros) because I want it to be used more like a "ketchup" then just a spice to add a drop or two in a dish to make it spicy. I want it fruity, so I also thought about making it with peaches and Mango again. Which spices go well with this kind of fruit? (Minus cilantro, I really dont like it) Also, do you have any other ingredients? Any other fruits for base?

Go light on the garlic and onion, just a little bit.  Roast 'em for a nice twist

Seasonings like cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, cardamom, sweeter vinegars like rice, wine vinegars and balsamic,

use sweet bell peppers of the color of the sauce to bulk it up, cut the heat

I have found that as little as 2-3 habaneros in 2 gallons of sauce is enough to give it a bite, but still be very eat-able for most people.  Most of the time the error is in using too many hot peppers.  Most people really can't eat that much heat.   

if making a tomato based red sauce, use red bell peppers.  If making a mango pineapple yellow/orange sauce, use yellow and orange bell peppers.  And carrots on both of those sauces as the sugars in the carrots and bells will help cut the heat.  Apples are another good filler that will cut the heat, add bulk, and not change the flavor significantly.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
SL

Allspice would work very well, it's called allspice because it tastes like a bunch of combined spices like clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

Thinking brown sugar also.

If you don't want it searing hot you could always use less peppers and still use superhots... peaches are a good mass so you will have the bulk you need...

salsalady said:
Go light on the garlic and onion, just a little bit.  Roast 'em for a nice twist

Seasonings like cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, cardamom, sweeter vinegars like rice, wine vinegars and balsamic,

use sweet bell peppers of the color of the sauce to bulk it up, cut the heat

I have found that as little as 2-3 habaneros in 2 gallons of sauce is enough to give it a bite, but still be very eat-able for most people.  Most of the time the error is in using too many hot peppers.  Most people really can't eat that much heat.   

if making a tomato based red sauce, use red bell peppers.  If making a mango pineapple yellow/orange sauce, use yellow and orange bell peppers.  And carrots on both of those sauces as the sugars in the carrots and bells will help cut the heat.  Apples are another good filler that will cut the heat, add bulk, and not change the flavor significantly.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
SL
Thanks for everything written above! Will definitely count in your suggestions :) 

For the sauces I made so far I used around 15-20 really hot peppers (reapers, ghosts etc.) for I would say 0.2 gallon of hot sauce. To me that is not as hot, but to other people I believe it is.

Also, I don't have the pH meter currently at home...perhaps it would be good idea to measure the pH of the both sauces with some pH strips? (I used approximately 0.2 L of vinegar and 0.2 L of lime juice with each sauce I was making. Sauce #2 however contains more sugars due to 2 pounds of canned peaches and mango and 2 pieces of persimmon. Do you think any of the sauces is at risk? I hot filled them)

Back