• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Cooking fermented hot sauce?

New to fermenting and the forum so apologies for the newbie question. I have done several pepper ferments and processed to sauce so far. Ferments were chopped up peppers , brine of 1 1/4 t of sea salt per cup of water. I’m using airlock lids. I do have a nice PH tester so finished sauces have been adjusted as needed to achieve 3.5 PH. I have just been processing in my Vitamix to purée and add vinegar , salt, sweetener etc to taste. I have not been cooking prior to bottling. It was my understanding you did not need to cook fermented sauce especially with a nice low PH. Is this a problem?

Bringing the sauce to 150 degrees for a few minutes will halt the fermentation, or pasturize it. It is said to keep the sauce from blowing out once opened, and for hot packing/sterilizing the bottle. This is my novis understanding.

... and add ... sweetener etc to taste. I have not been cooking prior to bottling .... Is this a problem?

Maybe. If the "sweetener" is a fermentable sugar, fermentation will continue. If you have bottled/jarred it, it quite possibly will explode - the classic "bottle bomb".

I actually use erythritol or monk fruit sweetener in low quantity. So far I’ve had no bottle explosions or even burps. I do think my high speed blender may be heating it enough to kill further fermentation but more sure. I distribute these to friends and family so don’t want to make anyone sick. Just really don’t want to cook these sauces in the house if I don’t need too.

Blenders aren't sterile environments so anything coming out of a blender needs to be cooked/bottled appropriately if looking for shelf stability.

Thanks all. So what I have so far has remained in refrigerator. I assume you are saying despite the PH being 3.5 there could still be nasty bugs that could present issues? My next batch I will cook I guess then as I do want to ship some for Christmas gifts. When I originally started fermenting as a path instead of cooking it was to keep from burning my wife’s eyes out lol.

Back