• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cooking with Guajillos

I hope I'm in the correct forum for this question. I'm growing plants from seeds that came out of a bag of dried guajillos from Walmart. The plants now have nice green pods about 5 inches long. I've searched unsuccessfully for ideas for using these chiles. I'd appreciate any ideas for cooking with them. The research I did indicated that guajillos are the dried, ripe pods from a mirasol chile. I don't plan to dry them, but would like to use the pods, either while they're green or when they ripen and turn red. From the size and feel of the pods it seems they could be used for rellenos. I like making salsa, and later this season I plan to make a batch of hot sauce with some of the chiles I'm growing. Perhaps they could be combined with other chiles for sauce. Thanks for any ideas/experience you have with these chiles.

Tom

They are used in salsas and sauces but you can use them any way you like really. Stuff them, make a relish, use them in place of other peppers. I've never grown them but I have a bag of them dried that I will be making some sauces for Mexican dishes.

i just bought some dried anaheim that i found in a clearance bin for .99 cents at a local grocery store. the dried guajillos sit right beside the anaheim and though i have looked at them, i didn't have a reason to buy them, plus they are too expensive. though i have made salsas in the past, it normally is not part of my diet.

so, yesterday i rehydrated one of the peppers to see how it tastes and to remove some seeds. with that pepper, i just diced up the now softened pepper and put it on a jumbo hot dog with mustard, relish, my homemade horseradish sauce for some bite and my homemade sourkraut.

tonight i am going to spagetti sauce and this time, i think i will rehydrate some more anaheims and then put them into the food processor making a paste then add it into the sauce giving an added peppery flavour. perhaps tomorrow, i will do the same, make a paste and will processing add garlic, red onion, fenugreek leaves, black pepper and something else(just not sure what) then bake some chicken in the oven with this peppery sauce basted over the chicken. most likely i will use chicken legs with the thigh attached.....yummy!

i bet you will come up with a whole bunch of new receipes on your own.

.........yes, i slipped some of the seeds into soil to see if they will grow.

They're used in a ton of Mexican sauces. You can either grind them into a powder or soak them in hot water and blend them when making a sauce.

You can also use them the same way you would a New Mexican type. I think they taste best in their dried/powder form, but they are good roasted as well. I have grown them in the recent past, I harvested a few green and put them on the grill, but most I let ripen and later dried them for powder, which I used on red beans and rice, and in pasta sauce. I am wondering why I didn't grow any this season?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Another idea I've had is to smoke them. I smoke jalapenos for chipotles, so presumably other chiles could be smoked. Any ideas how they'd turn out?

Tom

Lots and lots of time, different temperatures, different woods. This is just a start.

The campesinos who make it keep their methods close to their chest. I've watched for a day, but it takes way more than a day to complete.

Back