• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cool Ristas at Pike St Seattle Market

Some ristas with some pizazz. Might inspire some of you with lots of end of year produce to string em up.

Mariners%252520Kens%2525202011%252520035.jpg

Mariners%252520Kens%2525202011%252520036.jpg

I'm going to try a few of my own this harvest. Any ideas welcomed.... :cool:

Looks great, but those peppers would quickly turn to mush in my environment before they dried
Yea, I was kinda wondering about that especially for the thicker walled variety. It is usually very low humidity here in Boise, but not sure if it could air dry all of these. The cayenne types, no problem.

By the way, I appreciate your tip on an earlier post using fishing line as a rista stringer.... :cool:

I have made them with my Caribbean red habs then in the dehydrator(modified extra trays/rings) and dried them whole.

Not this year though since my c reds are over crowded and not producing scratch. Live and learn

What are the white in there?

I have made them with my Caribbean red habs then in the dehydrator(modified extra trays/rings) and dried them whole.

Not this year though since my c reds are over crowded and not producing scratch. Live and learn

What are the white in there?
So are you saying you made the red hab rista, then dehydrated, then did you hang it? I'm growing my first habs and wondering how they will take to the rista treatment.

As for the white, I think they're just flowers, they might look cool as it dries. I kinda wish I'd bought one just to see the string and ties involved.

Those are beautiful ristras for sure. You in Seattle now Ken? How long are you here for?
Already gone. Was in for the final home stand of the Mariners. (Looks for large paper sack over head.) Had some front row seats though and lil family gathering quite a lot of fun. As for Pike Street, I hadn't been there since my college days 30+ years ago. Sure enjoyed the pepper scenery on a blue-bird week there.

I don't tie when doing mine I simply thread a needle and go through the cap of each. And yes for the habs and thicker wall peppers I thread first and then dehydrate. I have modified my dehydrator trays to handle the extra height needed to dry them. Oven at low temp works well too.

I've tried pre-drying thick walled peppers but they usually just rehydrate and eventually go funky so I won't try that again in my climate. Last years fatalii ristra is now full of soft pods with a lot of moldy/funky ones. It still looks OK but I wouldn't eat the pods.

Thanks, guys. Good info there, saved me some errors. Have a dehydrator in the mail and will try a couple of rista techniques also and see what works best here.... :cool:

I don't tie when doing mine I simply thread a needle and go through the cap of each. And yes for the habs and thicker wall peppers I thread first and then dehydrate....
I just had to give it a try.

dehydrator.jpg

Other than the wife-unit laughing at my 'artistry' i think it worked. The thickest walled pepper Jalmundos could use additional drying, but I think the Hungarian Wax and red ripened Jalapenos came out okay. It was about 2.5 days drying at 125F, I might go a little longer for the thick walled.

dehydrator1.jpg

I also dehydrated some orange habs more traditionally--cut it half, dehydrated, then ground enough to be flakes. But I think the "whole pod" (dehydrated on a string) approach is also a functional way to keep peppers hangin, and its kind of purdy.

05%252520rista.jpg

Thanks for the idea, JustaGuy.... :cool:

Jalapenos. Jalaros, Fresnos, they're all difficult to dehydrate, I end up using the upright smoker....and they're still a beast...

I've tried pre-drying thick walled peppers but they usually just rehydrate and eventually go funky so I won't try that again in my climate. Last years fatalii ristra is now full of soft pods with a lot of moldy/funky ones. It still looks OK but I wouldn't eat the pods.

Mine end up being darker, but I tend to over dry mine.

Okay, I get what you guys are saying. I noticed my 'whole pod' string was getting a little softer and begin rehydrate after just a few days even with RH kinda low at 40%. So I will take care to process quite a bit longer in the dehydrator and keep them out of the damp. Prolly won't last longer than the winter anyway.... :cool:

I guess I've kinda hijacked my original thread about the Seattle ristas. But bottom line, since learning stuff from you guys, it would be a bad idea to buy or build a rista with thick walled peppers and expect it to air dry.

Looking good. I'll do 5 or 6 2foot strings, then twist them all together.
Good one. That should improve the overall appeal.

Jalapenos. Jalaros, Fresnos, they're all difficult to dehydrate, I end up using the upright smoker....and they're still a beast...
Hmmm, yea, taking 3+ days is a chore. These ones I split in half dried okay in 2.5 days. Once dried, crispy and easy to crush in fingers, (tip from Silver Surfer) no problem. I doubt I'll hang many whole jalapeno types as I prefer the pickled canned ones for the long haul. And now the powder is out of this world.

dehydrator2.jpg

I used the 'mason jar on the blender' trick to do the grinding that JustaGuy posted on another thread. Works great!

101111%252520deyhy%252520014.jpg

One happy camper now.... :cool:

1011%252520jals%252520005.jpg

Looking good. We all did kind of take your original thread in a off-shot direction. It kind of shows how one or two cool pictures can bring about the cool artistry you showed.

Looking good. We all did kind of take your original thread in a off-shot direction. It kind of shows how one or two cool pictures can bring about the cool artistry you showed.
As the Aussies say, "No worries, mate." The thread meandered a bit, but useful for me. If I could edit the subtitle to something like: 'Pike Street ristas, and dehydrating fat pods' we'd be spot on.... :cool:

As the Aussies say, "No worries, mate." The thread meandered a bit, but useful for me. If I could edit the subtitle to something like: 'Pike Street ristas, and dehydrating fat pods' we'd be spot on.... :cool:

you can edit-
go to your first post, click on "edit" click "Use Full Editor", you can edit the title and subtitles.

Cool pics from everyone, nice to see Pike Place Market and all the colorful creations of the THP members also. Green Powder looks good~

Back