co-packer Copacker wants $2500 for a batch

midwestchilehead

Extreme Member
Greetings fellow 'heads. I made my first batch of hot sauce a few weeks ago, and it turned out damn good IMHO. With delusions of grandeur, I set out to start selling it to folks. Then I read all the debbie downers on here saying you have to have an inspected kitchen, nutritional information, etc., etc, and realized that I was over my head. Before doing so, however, I contacted a copacker who would brew up a batch of my excellent sauce, but their estimated cost was $2500 for the test batch. Is that too much? I know it is too rich for my poor blood, but wondered how my selected copacker compared with others.

It sounds normal to me since co-packers never usually make small batches, but see how many gallons or bottles you'd get. They just can't make money while keeping prices down with small batches

SHOP AROUND!

I can't pass judgment on the co=packer and their operation without seeing it. Perhaps they only have large equipment.

Here in Washington, we have a small co-packer who insists on doing a 5-gallon test batch before doing a full run. Depending on ingredients used from the co-packer, how much work their employees have to do (do they have to prep all the veggies, etc or just mix up some ingredients) and if they label, shrinkwrap, etc, it's more in the neighborhood of $250-$500.

After the test batch is completed and approved by the customer, then they schedule the full run.

This co-packer will also do Process Authority letters for pH and shelf stability for $25, the current rate being charged by Washington State University Food Science department also. Another co-packer I contacted about pH testing quoted "complete lab testing (pH, water activity, yeast, mold, staph) and recipe review without a certified letter, $180.00." Hhmmm, doesn't do much good to do the tests and not get a process authority letter, does it :?:

Shop around!

Also, I'd suggest that you do several small (1 gallon) batches to solidify your recipe. You can't rely on "1 large onion, 2 carrots" for quantities. Then think about a co-packer.

Be safe and do it right.

Back