• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Corn Bread

I have seen so many  awesome corn breads on here over the years  but couldn't find a  dedicated thread  so hopefully we can build it up. 

I did a riff on  the following Smokenfire chipotle adobo    cornbread recipe. 
"Chipotle Cheddar Cornbread:

Ingredients:

2 cups cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 can chipotle chiles in adobo
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
6 tbsp butter, melted - plus 1 tbsp to grease the pan

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a cast iron skillet or other pan.  In a large bowl mix the corn meal, sugar and baking powder.  Set aside.

2. In another bowl whisk the buttermilk with the egg until well incorporated.

3. Spoon the chipotles and all the adobo you can get out of the can into a small bowl and chop em up fine (I use scissors!).

4. Stir the buttermilk and egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture.  Then add the melted butter and shredded cheese and stir well.

5. Pour mixture into the pan.  Add the chipotles and adobo at this point, then drag a spoon through the batter and make super cool swirly visuals.  Friends think that shit is gourmet.

6. Bake for ~ 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for about a half hour, then cut into wedges.  Serve with honey or butter as requested, or crumble into chili and maow."

Jalapeno Asiago buttermilk White Cornbread

almost a straight up doubling of SnF's  recipe with a tweak on method and ingredients. 

Ingredients:

4 cups white  cornmeal ( I used Indian Head)
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp s
4 oz shredded Asiago  
2 cup buttermilk
2 large egg
12 tbsp butter, melted - plus 1 tbsp  and 1 tbsp grapeseed oil. to grease the pan
4 small to medium sized fresh japlepeno minced. 
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a large  cast iron skillet or other pan.

2  In a large bowl mix the corn meal, sugar and baking powder.  Set aside.

3 In another bowl whisk the   egg  and whisk in  melted butter,   whisk in the butter milk and then stir the cheese and minced jalapeno

4 pour wet mix on top of dried  ingredients   and stir with a spatula until fully combined. 

5 Add melted butter and grapeseed oil to hot pan,  Pour mixture into the pan 

6 Bake for ~ 25 or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for about a half hour

Attachments

• IMG_20171008_153753699.jpg
    IMG_20171008_153753699.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 114
The Hot Pepper said:
A lot of cornbread looks dry, and is... this one looks like a bruleed corn pudding on top! You know that is moist!

Slice pic please. :D

That's what I was thinking. That thing looks like corn cake!

Ashen, I am your friend and that shit looks gourmet! :drooling:

The Hot Pepper said:
A lot of cornbread looks dry, and is... this one looks like a bruleed corn pudding on top! You know that is moist!

Slice pic please. :D

Sorry no sliced pictures.

I made it for my family's thanksgiving meal today.  I ended up giving what was left to my Mom , she doesn't get home made bread often being gluten free. 

It was very moist though, buttermilk is always good for that richness.  I will do another soon as my wife was complaining that she only got a part of a slice.. 

SmokenFire said:

Oh hell yes it does!  Need that slice pic with the marbled chipotle/cheese inside bruh....    ;)

I will eventually do the chipotle adobo version but this was for family meal  so it only had the minced fresh jalas in it. .   Even this  was spicy for some. 

I brought a  couple different pepper jellies for those of us that wanted a next level of heat, plus some homemade tomato jam that my family can't get enough of. 

Ashen said:

Sorry no sliced pictures.

I made it for my family's thanksgiving meal today.  I ended up giving what was left to my Mom , she doesn't get home made bread often being gluten free. 

It was very moist though, buttermilk is always good for that richness.  I will do another soon as my wife was complaining that she only got a part of a slice.. 

I will eventually do the chipotle adobo version but this was for family meal  so it only had the minced fresh jalas in it. .   Even this  was spicy for some. 

I brought a  couple different pepper jellies for those of us that wanted a next level of heat, plus some homemade tomato jam that my family can't get enough of. 

I'm looking for a tomato jam recipe if you're sharing.  :)

Man I know I shouldn’t have looked at this thread. Now I’m hungry [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokenFire said:

I'm looking for a tomato jam recipe if you're sharing.  :)

sure I adapted the recipe at the following link.  

http://divinacucina.com/2009/07/too-many-tomatoes-sicilian-tomato-jam/

I added some golden thyme  in place of a small amount of the basil,  also I use the best San Marzano , plum or even cherry toms I can find.  Mine looks much more like a thick jam than the picture on that page,I have  never had pieces like that left after following the directions .  Their picture looks fairly thin , and I think they might have given up before actually getting to 222 F .  

I also go a step further and water bath can after  filling the  mason jars.     12 minutes.  there is so much lemon juice and more than enough sugar that I doubt it is really necessary but since I give this stuff away to family all the time I don't want to be the guy that gives someone botulism. . 

Attachments

• tomatojam.JPG
    tomatojam.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 81
Last nights supper :D

Ground up some popcorn, added boiling water to reconstitute it, then added 1.5 cups fif flour.

1.5 cups corn flour
1,5 cups Fife flour
1/2 cup fancy molasses
1/4 cup butter
2 cups boiled water
1/2tbsp burning bush pepper
1/2tbsp chipotle
1/2tbsp cinnamon
salt
baking powder
2 eggs

400f 25 min

Surprised how fluffy and light it was. Added a couple slices of cheddar and blueberry sauce. Heat was strong, thai pepper level.

fRBnaSx.jpg
yKorKi0.jpg
IDP1ieb.jpg

UEKHYzT.jpg

Back