food Corn tortillas

Correctamundo!

YAY G!

I don't reckon that a tortilla lives to old age en mi casa.

mrs. blues and I are both taco/burrito horn dogs.

These are my favorite tortillas. You can pick up straight from the factory in Austin in a paper package. Last time I bought too many and had a bunch go bad pretty quick in like two weeks if remembering correctly. When I say "bad" I mean lost freshness...

9922162117_full.jpg

6902435310_791e18cffa_z.jpg

Video I found that gives a short tour of the factory..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jcADMXn6T-g

We have a few good Hispanic markets here in DC, and I can get decent ones, but only in a 30 pack. The honey doesn't like them. I always end up throwing a Third of them away. Would I be better to separate and freeze?

Alynne said:
We have a few good Hispanic markets here in DC, and I can get decent ones, but only in a 30 pack. The honey doesn't like them. I always end up throwing a Third of them away. Would I be better to separate and freeze?

Affirmative and negative.

Freezing them will make them last longer.

But will later taste stale and be crumbly.

Junk.

I can whoop through a 30 pack in less than a week with mrs. blue help.

Store bought tortillas are cheapness too me.

I eatem' like I do and although if they escaped and made a run for it before they 

died of old age...no biggy.

Pack of 20 is what buck .99?

I wipe my ass with sheeit more expensive.

geeme said:

I have issue's with Kenji's way of doin' 'thangs.

His take on corn tortillas is just another riff and not even a good one.

In the end he still double's up the tortilla's for a taco.

Why?

Because a steamed corn tortilla will fall apart on its own.

I use a dry comal and no water or oil.

Brown 'em up until spotty to give 'em a nice chew and they don't fall apart.

And no need for a second tortilla to hold the first one together.

I don't recollect ever having 2 tortilla's for a single taco while in Mexico.

And certainly not when growing up in Texas.

Prolly the biggest difference is the maker. Corn tortillas from the store here? Slapping them in a dry comal (or dry anything) gives you something akin to sheetrock. (Might as well use them for that, as you won't be eating them.) Alynne is in WDC so may or may not have access to better tortillas. When I get them from the store, reheating method depends on how much time and effort I'm willing to put in. Sometimes I'll wrap them in paper towels and nuke them. That's ok for 3 or 4, but doesn't give good results for more than that. 

texas blues said:
I don't recollect ever having 2 tortilla's for a single taco while in Mexico.

The jails are different there. :lol:

And... I've always seen you post flour tortillas for wraps and fajitas style stuff. I don't think I've ever seen you post a proper taco. Pics or it didn't happen!!!

I reheat in the cast iron until blistered. I find it makes even a medeocre tortilla better. Wrap in foil to hold. Once they get cool though, cardboard.

Back