Corned Beef

Most of the grocers in my area have stopped carrying reasonably-priced pre-packaged corned beef slices for sandwiches. You can still get sliced corned beef, but not in what I consider a reasonably-priced range. So I decided it's time to start making a corned beef roast on the weekends from time to time, and just chop it up for sammies during the week. Only I have had mixed results with cooking corned beef over the years - sometimes it's perfectly cooked, sometimes underdone and too chewy, and sometimes overdone and dry. I've boiled it on the stovetop, roasted in the oven both dry and half-way up with water, made it in a crock-pot, etc.

This morning I took a 2-1/2 pound packaged corned beef, drizzled some olive oil on it then wrapped it tightly in foil. Preheated the oven to 400F, slapped the roast in there for half an hour, then turned the temp down to 200F and left it in there another hour and a half. Internal temp was 190F when I took it from the oven, which was higher than I intended. At any rate, although it was by no means too chewy, it wasn't quite as tender as I was hoping for, but the moisture content was fine - it didn't end up drying out after cooling down. I am thinking the next time I try it, I'll only start the oven at 350F, but also aim to get the internal temp no higher than 170F.

However, I would appreciate your input - when you're making a simple corned beef roast, what method, temperature, internal temp, and/or timing have you used, when the result was moist and tender enough for sammies on a fairly consistent basis? I am familiar with the "hour per pound" rule of thumb some people go by, but have had mixed results with that, so that's not what I'm looking for here. Also, I don't have a smoker, so that option is out.

Stick it in a big pot & cover with water

add 1/2 cup of brown vinegar

2 Tbl Spns Brown sugar

about 6 cloves

1 or 2 bay leaves

Bring to boil then lower to simmer about 2 hours(leave lid on)

when it comes out let it cool about 15 mins then wrap in plastic & refrigerate.

I do this a lot for school lunches

here's how I do it geeme....I go to my deli and have them slice me some corned beef then come home and put it in the toaster oven before I use it... :)

here's how I do it geeme....I go to my deli and have them slice me some corned beef then come home and put it in the toaster oven before I use it... :)
LOL! Yeah, only the deli wants $9.99/lb for the stuff, vs. the $4.50/lb I just paid to cook my own. The small packages I've found around here are in the $7-$9 range, for a handful of ounces - OUCH. Am I being cheap, or frugal? This isn't filet mignon!

Stick it in a big pot & cover with water
add 1/2 cup of brown vinegar
2 Tbl Spns Brown sugar
about 6 cloves
1 or 2 bay leaves

Bring to boil then lower to simmer about 2 hours(leave lid on)
when it comes out let it cool about 15 mins then wrap in plastic & refrigerate.
Thanks. What size roast are you getting for that length of time?

.... Which translates to 3 to 4 pounds. So I would need to reduce the simmer time. Have you checked the internal temp when it's done?

Geesh, I really wish we'd just convert to metric here, and get it over with!

.... Which translates to 3 to 4 pounds. So I would need to reduce the simmer time. Have you checked the internal temp when it's done?

Sorry, I don't get that involved. Just cook it, wrap it & eat it. I wouldn't reduce the time any - I don't always get the same size but 2 hours covered in boiling water will cook most things through (& keep them moist). Maybe try 2 hours to start with & adjust to your taste.

Geesh, I really wish we'd just convert to metric here, and get it over with!

That would be way too easy :D

I rub my corned beef in generic yellow mustard thoroughly, then cover it in a large pot with 2-3 cans of Guinness and the rest water. Boil about 45 minutes to the pound (2 hours for a 3 lb is my norm).

Well, I've always cooked, but it was Rick Bayless who inspired me to truly start experimenting. How sweet it's been!

Back