• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Costa Rican "habanero"

I bought several plants from a local nursery here in Costa Rica which I was told were "habaneros". These definitely don't look like any habs I've seen before. The fruits are much larger, with a thicker stem and thicker wall. They started off a very pale green and appear to be ripening towards an orange color (which the nursery said would happen). I did try a couple of the unripe pods, and they were fairly hot. I didn't detect any of the habanero citrus fruitiness and the heat was fairly instant rather than creeping up on me. Any ideas here? Thanks!

Attachments

• chile1.jpg
    chile1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 111
  • chile2.jpg
    chile2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 102
  • chile3.jpg
    chile3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 115
  • chile4.jpg
    chile4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 110
  • chile5.jpg
    chile5.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 102
JoynersHotPeppers said:
More like Aji from South America, not aware of a Costa Rica habanero - been there many times and send powders to some local friends

They do look a bit like aji, however I haven't seen any with that distinctive pointy tail which led me to think maybe they were something else. I'm excited to see what they wind up looking like when ripe! Also if the country every opens up again I'd love to buy some of your powders - they look amazing!

Yeah, I'm thinking a baccatum as well. Multiple fruits per node, right?

boutros said:
Man if the pods weren't stickin up like they do, by shape it would look like a friggin Hungarian yellow wax pepper to me...  

Also the pods (even unripe) are quite a bit hotter than I believe the Hungarian wax supposedly get, although I don't have first hand experience with those. 

stringer said:
Any pics of open flowers? If there is a corolla, I'd be convinced it's baccatum, but it still looks more like an annuum to me.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with you here, Stringer. It looks like there are two plants in that pot and I have had annuums with multiples per node, but only on the first node. The initial Y has had multiples and then singles after.

That's an awesome color!!!

Back