Could you please give me some advice on my pruning

Hi guys, just wanted to understand correct way to prune chilli plants to try and achieve maximum yields, and minimise amount of space each takes up in my shade house.

Done a quick video on a test prune I did, and would appreciate some comments as to whether I've done it well or badly!

Cheers

[media]https://youtu.be/AHdWQQFs7Ng[/media]

Plants need leaves to photosynthesize sugars. Removing leaves will reduce the plant's ability to grow and produce fruit. What's done is done now, but in the future, just let the plant do its thing. 
     I usually do a little light pruning on my plants around mid-season to remove small shoots that grow on the lower inside of the plant, but the goal of that isn't to create a bigger plant. It just improves airflow through the interior of the plant which discourages foliar disease. 
     As a rule, big plants with lots of healthy leaves are able to produce more fruit. Removing leaves is kind of like taking cash out of your wallet to prepare for a trip to the grocery store.

Why the bleep do people feel the need to 'help' their plants by chopping off the leaves?   :rolleyes:

Growing leaves ain't easy!  Chlorophyll, for example, is a gigantic molecule that consumes vast quantities of carbon, nitrogen, and Hydrogen.  Assembling it is very energy intensive.  And then there are the proteins and sugars that build the leaf itself.  These resources do not just appear out of thin air - the plant must spend energy to produce them. Each leaf represents a significant investment by the plant. If you whack the leaves off before they can photosynthesize enough energy to break even...

As MH says, all you've done is punish the plant for building the one thing that will allow it to grow and live - the all important leaves.

If you just HAVE to fiddle, try a gentle FIM style topping.  That will alter the plant's grown pattern while causing minimal physical damage.

Better yet, learn to trust nature.
Trust that the plant knows what it's doing, and then just leave it alone.  Watch and appreciate the 'inner wisdom' it follows in its life.

Back