Coupons

I like this cash discount idea.  I could have them scan the money and email it to me.  Now that we have apps that can deposit checks by photographing them, I do kind of figure the serial number on cash will be next.

On not shopping in person.  Some of my Uline purchases shipping is about thirty percent of the purchase.  Makes me want to add more small expensive things.

I think coupons are a good thing for online stores, but you don't want to over-do it. For example, there is a printing company that I buy business cards and stickers from, and they are so aggressive with the coupons that I don't place an order without one, because I know every few days they'll email a new code. That's fine, but it's a bit tacky (not that it keeps me from shopping there). In the long run I think it's better just to offer good prices up front, and then the occasional coupon for a special occasion like Black Friday. 

While coupons can be helpful - you also want to make sure you are not over doing it with them. For example I recently ordered some veggie seeds for next year from an online shop (first time ordering from them) placed the order in my cart and almost removed everything once the $6.95 shipping charge was added (they were running a promo for the flat rate shipping and I almost suspect that the charge would have been less without the flat rate - since they mostly ship live plants and trees etc. that cost a lot to ship and I was only ordering seeds ! ) but they were the only source of 1 of the items I was ordering that I had found so since I was ordering about 8-10 pack of seeds figured it only added about $1 per packet to the cost so went ahead and placed the order.

Then since I had to put in my info and create an account to pay for the order - the very next day I receive an E-mail advert from them that offered 10% off and "FREE SHIPPING" - so to say the least I was a bit upset that I had placed the order a day earlier and paid a $6.95 flat rate shipping fee (supposedly a special offer !)  on a $12 order only to have an offer come the next day that would have saved me that fee.

I use coupons but it's just another tool.  You can send out a coupon code for 20% off or just mark down your product on the page by 20%.  At least that way anyone who visits your page will see the sale even if they don't know about the coupon.

Justaguy, cause you said your site runs on paypal I took a look.  If you would like to run your site with wordpress (free) and woo commerce (free), send me a PM and i can probably help you set it up.  One of the main benefits is that unlike the paypal add to cart buttons, it keeps track of inventory.  You can still have paypal as your processor.  Woocommerce does have a coupon feature, but i havent used it yet.  But any feature you see in my online store (see signature) that you like, I would gladly tell you how to do it.

Hot Pepper, thank you.  Will likely post something to the market place.  Gotta figure out how to use the software now.

Back