• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Coup's 2018 Texas Pepper Grow

Hey everyone!

Been a while since I posted, but I thought I'd let you guys know I am still cranking peppers as I do every year! I didn't really run my glog last year, so I thought I would show you guys what I am up to.

We're moving to a new house in the summer, so I have a stripped-down setup because I intend to plant at the Shiloh Field garden rather than in my backyard. We've got 30 pepper plants, some big and some small. However, I planted everything in October - November to really get big plants.My lights run from 8am - 10pm every day.

rg7oxBO.jpg

VMvtFrN.jpg

q9z7s8d.jpg

In addition to peppers I am growing a mixup of onions, tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, garlic, and shallots.

My pepper varieties this year include:
  • Orange Bell Pepper
  • Red Bell Pepper
  • Yellow Bell Pepper
  • Corno Di Toro Giallo
  • Arroz con Pollo
  • Sweet Banana
  • Fresno
  • Jalapeno
  • Hatch Chile
  • Large Orange Thai
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
  • Orange Habanero
  • Mustard Habanero
  • Caribbean Red Habanero
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red
  • Bhut Jolokia, Peach
  • Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet
  • Carolina Reaper
Really excited to make some quality salsa this year! I've stripped away my reliance on super-hots and am keeping a healthier supply of 'common' peppers. So, this year I have 9 bell pepper plants since I feel like I am always short on bells which I frequently cook with. In addition to THAT, I have two huge aji amarillo plants since my roomie is Peruvian and loves traditional cuisine.

Nice.....plants look beautiful...good luck on your grow and enjoy that salsa.

Chilidude said:
I am bit worried about that major leaf curling in the last picture.

In my experience with my indoor grows, the leaves begin to curl when the pepper is definitely out of room to grow in the pot. Once I can get these sad things outside and in the ground they should unfurl.

Sorry, I should have paid more attention, it's noted in your location. ;)

Yeah, chilled, for now ;)

jasonwild said:

It looks like start of disease/virus that curls up the leafs, looks infected!

I've seen this problem before on these same plants, and am growing from the same seeds I started with last year's crop. It's a nutrient lockup from being in containers that are too small - the plants are fine.

The planting season is finally upon us my dears, and my peppers and tomatoes are firmly in the ground. Frost seems to be behind us, but this Friday the low is expected to be 35 degrees. It's close, so I might give all my plants a little plastic covering just to make sure they're good to go.

Behold my 2018 start!

Fq6haWt.jpg

s7gpAG8.jpg

zOVjIiT.jpg

QYdV1QG.jpg

7TGwTii.jpg

eu9BMMw.jpg

vRcuKQ4.jpg

ZsrtSPi.jpg

Coup said:
The planting season is finally upon us my dears, and my peppers and tomatoes are firmly in the ground. Frost seems to be behind us, but this Friday the low is expected to be 35 degrees. It's close, so I might give all my plants a little plastic covering just to make sure they're good to go.

Behold my 2018 start!

DUDE what are you going to do tomorrow night???? Gonna be 29 at my house!

Chewi said:

DUDE what are you going to do tomorrow night???? Gonna be 29 at my house!

The low keeps going up degree by degree - it's at 37 now! I suspect it will be even higher by tomorrow. I have some covers though, just in case!

Did the best I could with what I had available! I covered all the chinense variety.

RJFGyFF.jpg

At least my indoor tomato plants is still kicking ass!

imw0Qyf.jpg

Made Millenial dinner to enjoy the cool weather.

aHsRVBQ.jpg

It's been a minute since I've updated! I've been super busy this year with a whole host of projects and things going on, but the garden is still blooming bright as ever.

You'll notice a shade cloth I've put over my tomatoes recently - I'm hoping this will help them recover from the scorching heat we've had. I've pulled a number of healthy tomatoes this year, and hopefully I'll keep getting them!

8hse9gu.jpg

Back