• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cow Pots

In my ongoing quest to be a greener gardener, I decided to give Cow Pots a try this year. Since peat is a nonrenewable resource, and plastic is a problem with decomposition and landfills, finding a green seed starting method hasn't been easy. They are starting to make pots from coconut fiber, too, but I ran across a good buy on the Cow Pots before I ran across a good by on the coir pots.

Here the information on cow pots http://www.cowpots.com/

I have 48, so I thought I'd split them up and go 12 each of peppers, tomatoes, herbs, and flowers. I'll see if they break down better than the peat pots do.

Anybody else tried them?

I have not tried them...

and you say peat is non-renewable? I didn't know that either...

Pam, I really liked the idea when I started reading from the link you posted because they really do suit many purposes........but when I saw the pricing of them WOW around a dollar a pot and you can not reuse. That price is from a online source, there is nothing close to me that sells them. Do they have an odor to them?

Dale

yea, the coir pots are pricey. maybe when i have one of those, whattaya call 'em? oh yea, incomes...what kind of deal didja get on your cow pots? i love a good deal...

Interesting idea. If I was the farmer I wouldnt want to be giving up my fertiliser that cheaply, but Im not farming cows.

AlabamaJack said:
I have not tried them...

and you say peat is non-renewable? I didn't know that either...

Well, it's not renewable at the rate we use it. In the long view, say of a couple of thousand years, well, yeah, it'll renew.

The cow pots are greener in that they make use of a waste product *and* are a good substitute for nonrenewable peat.

thepodpiper said:
Pam, I really liked the idea when I started reading from the link you posted because they really do suit many purposes........but when I saw the pricing of them WOW around a dollar a pot and you can not reuse. That price is from a online source, there is nothing close to me that sells them. Do they have an odor to them?

Dale

The cheapest I could find them was $7.50 for 12 pots. That's still high, but I thought if they catch on, mass production should bring the price down. So, buying them now I am contributing to lower prices later on.

And you'll note I only bought 4 packs. That doesn't any where near cover my needs, but it was a nice way to support a new green technology and to try a new product.

thepodpiper said:
Do they have an odor to them?
When they did the show they said something like "we take all the fluids out, so there's no smell..." or something of that sort.

GrumpyBear said:
yea, the coir pots are pricey. maybe when i have one of those, whattaya call 'em? oh yea, incomes...what kind of deal didja get on your cow pots? i love a good deal...

The best price I saw on coir pots from a quick google this evening puts a 3 inch pot at $.33, whereas the breakdown of the cow pots is about $.63 per pot. Jiffy peat pots seem to run from $.10 to $.14 per pot.

You can also get these coir pots with a compressed substrate pellet.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Wonder-Soil-Coir-Cups/productinfo/SO-WSP/

Omri said:
When they did the show they said something like "we take all the fluids out, so there's no smell..." or something of that sort.

They don't smell like manure, but they did have a sort of sharp aroma when they first came out of the box. After sitting in the back shed for about 2 weeks, that's gone.

At some point i can see myself giving these a try, maybe not for peppers because I start so many but for my melons and others that are susceptible to transplant shock. I may even try and get some for this years melons.

Dale

Back