• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Crab cakes

I have been trying to decide how to make these crab cakes for a while now.  I love Maryland style crab cakes, but figuring out which recipe is best is like trying to decide who makes the best BBQ in Texas, pizza in NYC,  or cheese steak in Philly.  All the recipes include several things, crab meat, a binder, and some sort of filler to hold it together.  The binders can vary as can the filler.  I have seen everything from cubed bread, to dried bread crumbs, to crushed saltines, etc.  I am curious what your favorite recipes are.  Here is mine:

1 16oz can Lump crab meat
1 16oz can Claw crab meat
2 Eggs
1 cup Mayo
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs Hot sauce (I used a local Maryland company's sauce called Eagle Wingz Extreme Chesapeake Style Hot Sauce)
1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tsp Granulated garlic
1 Tsp Onion powder
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Bloody Mary

The first thing you need when preparing Maryland Style Crab Cakes on a Sunday morning, is a good Bloody Mary.  I like to add a little BaconSalt and Pure Evil to mine.

Next, whisk the eggs, mayo, worcestershire, hot sauce, and spices together in a bowl.  Pick through the crab meat and add to bowl, add bread crumbs, gently stir to combine careful not to break up the crab meat too much.

I use an ice cream scoop to make uniform balls of crab cake.  I put them on a parchment lined sheet tray and put them in the refrigerator for a few hours to set up and let the flavors combine.

I then pan fry them on medium high heat with butter and canola oil.  Most recipes say oil, but I like the taste of the butter added.

100_1715.JPG

100_1713.JPG

100_1708.JPG

100_1709.JPG

100_1710.JPG

100_1712.JPG

100_1712.JPG

100_1714.JPG

Cooking and finished plate pics to come a little later.  Please post YOUR favorite crab cakes so we can compare.

Think I posted this somewhere and it is on my website.

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes
  • 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crab meat
  • 1/2 cup diced scallions
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp. finely diced yellow bell pepper (optional)
  • 1 tsp. fresh minced garlic
  • 5 Tbsp. butter
  • 5 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 egg
  • Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 pinches of Tri-Thai
  • Small loaf of fresh baked bread
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Slice loaf of bread into 1 inch slices and place on ungreased baking sheet, do not overcrowd. Bake in 300 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. At 7 or 8 minutes, flip the slices to allow the other side to brown. Remove the bread and cool. Once cool, breakup into small pieces and place in a food processor and grind until the crumbs are a fine texture. You can use store bought bread crumbs but it is not something we recommended.
Gently pick over the crab to remove any shells or cartilage while being very cautious to not breakup the lumps.
Heat in a small sauté pan 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat; after butter foam has subsided add 1/2 cup diced scallions, 1 tsp. fresh minced garlic and 1 pinch of Tri-Thai (optional) or 1 Tbsp. finely diced yellow bell pepper. Cook until tender but not browned, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl beat one egg lightly and add:
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 1 pinch of Tri-Thai
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1lb jumbo lump crab meat, cleaned
  • sautéed vegetables
Carefully mix ingredients.
Place a sheet of wax paper on a large plate. On a seperate plate, place 1 to 2 cups breadcrumbs.
Mold the crab mixture into 4 large or 8 small cakes. Coat each cake with breadcrumbs, lightly press to ensure the crumbs adhere evenly and place on wax paper. Once all cakes are coated, refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to allow the cakes to set.
Heat in a large skillet 4 Tbsp. of butter and 4Tbsp. of olive oil over medium high. When butter foam subsides, add cakes 1 at a time. Do not overcrowd and keep cakes from touching. Make sure the fat is not too hot and the breadcrumbs are not burning but browning. If cooking smaller cakes, at 4 to 5 minutes check the cakes and turn over if brown. Cakes should cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes for a total of 8 to 10 minutes, remove. For larger cakes, 6 to 8 minutes per side and remove when done around 12 to15 total minutes.
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa
  • 1 14oz can of black beans, washed
  • 2 Ears of corn, shucked
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. onion, diced
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 1/8 tsp. Tri-Thai
  • pinch of Kosher salt
  • pinch of cumin
Heat grill to 350.
Take 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and rub it over the ears of corn completely coating the ears. Sprinkle evenly over both ears 1 Tbsp. paprika. Once grill has reached 350, lay the corn across the grill. Rotate corn every 3 minutes until all sides are evenly golden and slightly charred, about 15 minutes. Remove the corn, allow to cool and cut the corn off the cob and place into a large bowl. In addition add black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, onion, Tri-Thai, salt, cumin and mix well. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

photo.JPG

http://www.heatmadesimple.com/cooking/tri-thai-recipies.html

Looking forward to your plating picture! 

I couldn't wait any longer.  I cooked a couple.

100_1717.JPG

100_1718.JPG

100_1724.JPG

Ok truth, the ones in the pan did not hold together very well when I flipped them.  There is so little filler that these are better broiled.  Those are what the last pics are.

Yeah but you know the rules.  Mrs. JayT won't allow it on the new stovetop.  But when she is away...

100_8322.jpg

Sometimes I don't even cook anything in them, just set them on the stove...:lol:

Even mrs. blues has her own 10" cast iron. 

She uses it mainly for her bacon or her taco meat.

She also has a special mrs. bluesificated egg pan that I am not to touch.

Lessen' I'm washing it of course.

Back to them crab cakes.

Are we going to get to see some Black Bettied cakes?

Wait.

Can't call it Black Bettied since Black Betty's all live with me.

You gotzta' name your own sheeit.

Not today, she came home too soon.  I had to broil them.  I did manage to freeze six for later though.  I will put them in the cast iron.  Gotta work on a name.

I got names for all my sheeit.

2 Flying V's.

Missylou and Amylou.

My black '78 LP Pro is Puta Negra.

The goldtop is Raquel.

As in "1,000,000 Years B.C." Raquel Welch.

My F150  is named...uhm..

My Truck.

I think yer' feelin' me.

WTF!

You're posting pics of hippy vans?

I sez you iz a closet hippy lover!

Screw that.

I want more cooked crab piccy's.

Hippy lover!

I cooked moar, and I ated them all.  Heather liked them, Mason said they had a little too much spicenessxt for him.  You will have to wait until next time.

texas blues said:
WTF!

You're posting pics of hippy vans?

I sez you iz a closet hippy lover!

Screw that.

I want more cooked crab piccy's.

Hippy lover!
Here you go...

253239_4637278414344_1619759610_n.jpg

Nothing like picking your own...

539727_3373316136077_1579427589_n.jpg

That looks delicious - very similar recipe to the wife's.

She's actually been substituting amberjack for the crab and its also pretty tasty.

I just made crabcakes a couple days ago.  THe missus said they didn't taste the same.  I look at my recipe here and realize that I forgot the worchestershire and the onion powder.  I says they were still good though.

Awww C'mon MAAAN! No Hollandaise with a side of roasted Asparagus?

That's like taking a picture of a raw, cold hotdog and saying it looks just like that but warm on a bun.

Here's a picture of my omelette:

View attachment 8515

Back