• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cracked Pepper plant branch

I have a cracked pepper plant branch, unfortunately it appears to be a main Y branch :(. I was just wanted to know what the best thing would be to fix it with some sort of tape??? some sort of glue??? Thanks!!! :)

Personally I have used painters tape but I have also seen a piece of wire to hold it together. From my experience the tighter you close the gap the better. After a couple weeks or so it should heal itself and you can undo the band aids.

wire will eventually cut into the stem and weaken it.....that's why I said duct tape...heck...that stuff will hold anything as long as it is dry when you put it on...and it will hold a pretty good tensile load...

The Universal Repair Flow Chart
You only need two things to repair anything!

7565054702_6dcdb2ed7f.jpg

The do sell some type of green plant wrap. It's not really tape as much as it is for like grafting and stuff like that. Thing is, duct tape is easily available while this stuff you might have to go to a nursery to get as I don't think Lowe's or HD carry it.

By the way...I was about to ask you where you got a cracked pepper plant until I read your post.? LOL! ; )

The do sell some type of green plant wrap. It's not really tape as much as it is for like grafting and stuff like that. Thing is, duct tape is easily available while this stuff you might have to go to a nursery to get as I don't think Lowe's or HD carry it.

By the way...I was about to ask you where you got a cracked pepper plant until I read your post.? LOL! ; )

I got some duct tape sitting at home and waiting to be used, I like to go cheap if I can, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

dont use duct tape, try electrical tape, it'll come off when you need it to later.

there is also gardeners tape, its green, but not sticky so you tie both ends together after wrapping the stem.

green-tape-at-work.jpg

Hey greenman, That tape is pretty! Really neat work. :party: I'll bet it can't cut into the stem either.
Sure beats the heck out of my butchers twine (but then I'm a cheap ol' fart). :doh:

dont use duct tape, try electrical tape, it'll come off when you need it to later.

there is also gardeners tape, its green, but not sticky so you tie both ends together after wrapping the stem.

green-tape-at-work.jpg

Well, that's what I was trying to suggest on post #8. Just wasn't sure what it was called. Pictures are way better than words most of the time.

Hey greenman, That tape is pretty! Really neat work. :party: I'll bet it can't cut into the stem either.
Sure beats the heck out of my butchers twine (but then I'm a cheap ol' fart). :doh:

It can cut into the stem if you leave it long enough, it lasts for years...I've spent a lot of time removing it from damaged young trees that were tied and never untied.

By the way, lost in all this tape and cracked pepper branch talk, I forgot to mention that greenman's tomatoes look beautiful.

Depends on the diameter of the break.
Tender and young, simple scotch tape works just fine and degrades enough to be easily removed after healing.
Big and woody, florists or gardeners tape is made just for that application.

If growing as an annual, duct tape is the cheapest and easiest to use, and you don't have to worry about removing it, just have to be careful about not constricting the flow through the branch.

Back