• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Crazy Before and after shot!~

These pictures are of a plant that I decided to top and strip last year. I never put comparison pics up till now. There is a 5 month difference between the two pics. So YES topping and pruning is HIGHLY recommended! :P

Before

After

The plant is a ButchT btw

Wow impressive! Hm I was going to try and overwinter a plant with leaves and supplemental light but that looks nice. Might have to go that route.

Edit: oops didn't realize that was last season

I'd be VERY careful about WHEN you strip a plant down that much.
In general Fall or early spring would be the only time I'd do it.
If you did it in warmer temps. you probably end up with a dried stick.

I know several people who bare root HUGE plants and cut them down to put in small pots every winter.
Works great if done at the right time.

Too many people don't take into account that in summer or late spring,a plant needs leaves etc. to survive the heat etc.
I guess you might get away with drastic trimming if your summers are milder than here in S.Ca.

But every once on a while,due to mites or whatever,there sometimes is no choice in the matter,strip it or loose it along with all your other plants.
Most plants I've stripped in summer for whatever reason died.

I'm just trying to make people think about that there is a time and place time frame for such drastic trimming.

A FEW plants that would have been goners did survive every once in a while when trimmed at the wrong time.But I had no choice at the time.
Mites Suck!A lot of times trimming ALL your plants down is the only solution.
It becomes a matter of they will die,might as well kill them trying to save them than just letting the mites kill them.

I'd be VERY careful about WHEN you strip a plant down that much.
In general Fall or early spring would be the only time I'd do it.
If you did it in warmer temps. you probably end up with a dried stick.

I know several people who bare root HUGE plants and cut them down to put in small pots every winter.
Works great if done at the right time.

Too many people don't take into account that in summer or late spring,a plant needs leaves etc. to survive the heat etc.
I guess you might get away with drastic trimming if your summers are milder than here in S.Ca.

But every once on a while,due to mites or whatever,there sometimes is no choice in the matter,strip it or loose it along with all your other plants.
Most plants I've stripped in summer for whatever reason died.

I'm just trying to make people think about that there is a time and place time frame for such drastic trimming.

A FEW plants that would have been goners did survive every once in a while when trimmed at the wrong time.But I had no choice at the time.
Mites Suck!A lot of times trimming ALL your plants down is the only solution.
It becomes a matter of they will die,might as well kill them trying to save them than just letting the mites kill them.

I would agree with that , This should NOT be done in extreme conditions ie. extreme heat or cold. Pepper plants for the most part are very resilient and can withstand quite a bit of abuse. This being benificial abuse. I should also mention this was an experiment on a plant that had fert burn anyways, Also it should not be done with a plant that is weak and or has suffered from pests or anything of the sort.

The only reason I posted what I did was because too many people read stuff on the internet and don't take into consideration anything concerning What,When or Why whatever was done in the first place...

It is popular,from Googled stuff,so I gotta do it...
(Yup,that guy is surely a french model in the commercials). :)

No consideration is given as to when or why different things worked or didn't at that specific time.

Looks like that plant is indoors too...so that's no problem. I do it all the time on indoor plants and they always come back healthier then ever. I would have left a few more nodes with a leaf shoot or two on each node to make sure it pulls through but to each their own.

As you guys said I sure wouldn't do it on an outdoor plant in the summer. If I needed to do it for whatever reason old cut it down and cut the rootball then hose it off plant in fresh soil and bring it in under lights until it recovered.

That's a great looking plant mega !

Back