Crazy dogs or Do hot pepper plants also have capsaicin?

Sooo, my dog who likes to suck on garlic plants has moved on to sucking on the leaves of my hot pepper plants. I was wondering if anyone knows if the plants (stems) have capsaicin in them as well? I'm starting to think he likes spicy things, which is fine, but I also don't want him to eat a Chocolate Scorpion and then *I* have to deal with a crazy dog who's mouth is on fire. 

Ya know what... I think he does like hot things. I remember when I first got them they chewed so I tried to put hot pepper sauce on wires. I tried it out on him and he licked it off my fingers. Damnit all. I always get the crazy animals. 

So, capsaicin? 

Only the interior of the peppers themselves have the capsaicin... You may very well still have crazy dogs though :D

My pup is rather gentle with the plants (thankfully), in fact - she's just rather timid altogether (border collie mix)

rghm1u20 said:
Make a capsaicin tea and spray the plants...
      Bought 1lb cayenne pepper from amazon for 10$.That will last along time.Sprinkle around your problem spots and it should solve your problem.Reapply after a rain if they have not got the message yet.

Tried some Korean red pepper today. He ate it. So, I'm going to say he's nuts and just watch him when we have them outside lol. 

I'm not feeding it to him he just likes it and when I tried to use the hot pepper this morning as a deterrent he ate it. It's ok to let the dogs eat the fruits of most of the nightshade family of plants (some are just poisonous in genera though). So, ripe tomatoes are ok but not the stems or leaves of the plants.I had a dog that used to raid peoples gardens for tomatoes and cucumbers. She also use to eat bowls of tomatoes if we would leave them out on the table. She was fine lol. 

Very finely ground superhot powder.

On a dry day, sprinkle a bunch (from up wind) over your patch.

Whatever mammal knocks a snootfull off the leaves won't soon be doing so again.

Is it a puppy still? If so it could be playing games especially if you sprayed the plants with pepper made spray.. My friend has a pit that was a puppy and I left some bhuts on his coffee table a few years back. We had went to get cigarettes and when we came back the dog was acting a fool. Lol.. He had grabbed the pods off the table, eaten parts of them and was playing with what was left. He would attack it and act like it was biting him back and toss them around. now he must recognize them and wants nothing to do with it now that he's older..

I also have a dog that used to eat everything. I just rubbed chilli on things he would chew on and he stopped. Sooo.. I'm with gotrox and vote for a dusting on the leaves if he eats it after a spray had been applied. Lol! A snout full of superhot powder would prolly stop a bear judging from my experiences.

My dog would chew on all my wood furniture until I started putting hot sauce where he bit.No more torn up chairs and the dog is healthy and looking for other ways to torment me.

Hot peppers are not mentioned in the article. I found no credible article that mentions peppers.  If was really bad both my dogs would have been ill! I think this article is hyperbole. Even though they seem to be a vet, it's really overstated.  It takes a little bit of scientific insight and blows it way out of proportion. Most of the info posted on the Internet is actually that - regurgitated nonsense. When I look into the research, a dog would have to eat at least 0.5 percent of it's weight in onions to be noticeable - not yet 'toxic', and much more than this to be a problem, and then lots more to be fatal. That would be a huge amount for my dog, who incidentally doesn't like onions near her - they are a repellent to her! Go to a reputable vet-centric site. I like the humane society one http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/foods_poisonous_to_pets.html .  This one is pretty good too http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/  
Some of these are true for people too.  Most of these foods are more in the don't-eat-excessive-amounts category. Even most vets are not very knowledgeable about this.  I have a friend who's a veterinary toxicologist (pathologist too), and she say's most of these issues are not really a problem.  The exceptions exist.  I do not feed my dog chocolate, or onions. I've looked into the grape issue and read the scientific papers and it's scary.  But there are dogs who eat them all the time, all their lives with no problems - and it's still a mystery.  But I don't take cooked onions out of something she may eat a little of. She's eaten a bit of chocolate too (Kid's gave it to her before I could stop it), but she would have to eat pounds of it to be a problem as she's pretty big.   She doesn't get much people food period. And she doesn't get into things - she's very obedient.  My first dog used to eat hot pepper sauce on chips, shake his head, and want to eat more.  But I never gave him much (only a few chips - with a few drops of habanero sauce), and only a couple times in his whole life.  He never tried to eat hot pepper plants. My current dog does not like hot peppers (well if there is a little salsa on something she will still eat it), and does not really like chips. Oh, and onions, they would work as an anti-dog application for her too.  Would not eat them, especially raw.

I never worry much about these things as my dogs never really liked anything but meaty foods. You might try lemon oil - squeeze it from  the skin of a lemon (not furniture polish!), my dogs have hated this smell.  Or tell the dog NO, give a little tap on the nose, look them in the eyes, say no again, and make them lay down.  This usually works eventually.

Also, hot pepper plants even though in the nightshade family, are edible.  They are commonly used in Korea - to make a namul dish.

Gotrox said:
Very finely ground superhot powder.

On a dry day, sprinkle a bunch (from up wind) over your patch.

Whatever mammal knocks a snootfull off the leaves won't soon be doing so again.
does that work for other pests like insects ?

I guess you didn't see "CAN" in my post...credibility is a matter of opinion.

I know Chocolate doesn't bother my parents dogs(they ate a large box of them my parents left on the coffee table one time).

I also know a friends dog(small drop kick ankle bitter-$1000. piece of useless dog meat) almost died from eating chocolate (the sucker fell out of the chicks purse,unconcious,after munching a chunk of chocolate that was in there)..cost her a lot of $ to pay her vet...

Same thing with artificial sweeteners-no problem for a lot,if not most dogs,big time problem for others...

I had an Aussie that loved raisins,we ate them all the time,no problem.
I only recently read they CAN cause big problems in SOME/possibly a lot of dogs.

I do know hot peppers thin blood,I'm on blood thinners and they have to reduce my dose when I eat peppers/super hots.
I accidently run out here and there,they always have to increase or reduce my coumadin dose accordingly.

I choose not to risk my dogs health ,knowingly,on stuff by giving it to them to see if it will eventually hurt them.

If Fido gets into something,so be it.I won't give it to my pooch if I'm in doubt/don't know for sure.

It does seem the poster's dog has no problem with the peppers it eats now.

I was giving a general warning for people who might use garlic or peppers on their plants and MIGHT find out their dog is sensitive.

Vets these days get people doctors $,or more.

I agree with you on some points,things have gotten out of hand with pet care these days.
Heck,a chipped claw needs major surgery these days.

I was raised on farm type vets.

These days it's big $,get foo foos teeth cleaned every few months,feed them $20.00 lb. food etc.

My post is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

I'll try and find the link to Capsaicin and dogs/animals/people etc.

It wasn't on a Vet site,it was a study on Capsaicin.
It was a very large PDF report.

I lost the link in my favorites when I lost a hard drive.

Gotta wade through the BS crap that is popular to get to what I consider an unbiased study.

Nothing more,it included dogs,rats and other lab. test subjects,including humans.

My dog likes hot peppers so I think putting more hot pepper on the plant is an invitation for him to eat them lol. He's not a puppy just a very cute and mellow dog that seems to enjoy hot things lol. His brother could care less. He's a good boy so as long as I correct him a few times he'll leave them be. 

Chocolate is 100% bad for ogs. It depends on the size of the dog, the purity of the chocolate etc etc. 

As for nightshades, some are very poisonous. This is the reason Tomatoes weren't eaten for many years, they were believed to be poisonous, and when they did start eating them they were boiled for hours in order to remove the poison that people believed they contained. .Belladonna or Deadly Nightshade is very poisonous and will kill you. 

My mom fed my dog chili I made with primo powder one time and he is a garbage gut, will eat anything.  One tiny bite and he dropped to the floor, clamped his mouth shut and shook and shivered for a straight 20 minutes I felt horrible. And this is not a small dog, around 120 lbs.  I would fence the area off if you can

Back