• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Created a new cross

I think I created a new cross between an anuum and a chinense, will the seeds in the f1 pod be fertile? I'm worried because I don't know if maybe the cross didn't work which would be a bummer because I waited a year for this cross to finally show pods.

Voodoo 6 said:
Chinense x annuum = F1 hybrids partially fertile
I've heard that before, does that mean if the f1 plants produce pods, that those seeds from that pod are partially fertile? Or are the seeds that make the f1 plants partially fertile? Or does that mean only some plants will produce seed or pods at all?

The pods from my chinense x annuum crosses have had very few f1 seeds, and they have not been reliable to sprout. The F2s have been relatively normal with quantity and germination rate.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

thegreenman said:
The pods from my chinense x annuum crosses have had very few f1 seeds, and they have not been reliable to sprout. The F2s have been relatively normal with quantity and germination rate.

Same here, it seems like the placenta is combined somehow too. In my f1 the placenta isn't like a typical chinense where it's just a small cluster of seeds right under the calyx, nor is it like the anuum mother where it is a gigantic plug that runs from the top of the pod to the bottom. In my f1 the placenta seems to start out like a chinense and then run to the very bottom of the pod, however it only does so in 2 slivers on each side like an anuum would. And the calyx doesn't seem to come over the pod like an anuum would.

I still don't know what color they are when ripe though, I'll find out soon though.

Attachments

• 20170817_164746.jpg
    20170817_164746.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 59
charlie5heen said:
I still don't know what color they are when ripe though, I'll find out soon though.
Yep that looks about the same as mine did. I got 3-5 seeds per pod iirc. One pod had only a single non-viable seed.
How many of those crosses did you do that you can sacrifice an unripened one? I typically do only one or two.

I only had one cross but I still have a bunch of seeds to grow f1s. Plus the seed in this one wasn't isolated so it's alright. I have 2 plants, both are f1s and one is a giant with like 30 pods on the way.

Back