labels Critique my labels as well please?

Would love some 'expert' opinions on my new set of labels as well, if you please. I know the glaring missing component is a bar code right not. At this stage, I am concentrating on mail order and or farmers markets / live events. When I gain some traction, future labels will have bar codes... Also, my original labels had (what i thought) were witty little paragraphs telling you what the sauce is good on....I changed my opinion on all that....Hot sauce people are smart. they know what it goes on...lol

I'm no expert but I really like your labels. The consistent theme, and the simple background both work well.
I think Burn The Crow should be capitalized as the other names are, and I think some of the kerning is too tight especially on the first two labels. Otherwise i think your sauces would stand out favorably on a store sauce shelf.

Okay here we go again....

initial impression...I Like It!  Good simple design, theme works from one label to the next...several consistent things (like the net weights) and subtle variations (like the shadow crow).

Now the nit picky-
"Habanero Red" Hot Sauce sounds backwards, especially since it contains Red Habaneros
Can you use "The Devil's Due" or is that name taken?  It flows better as a hot sauce name than "The Devil His Due".
There's a typo in the 3rd sentence of the text on the Burn The Crow label.
For a legal label, you need to break out all the sub-ingredients of the things like Worcestershitshire, catsup, molasses, pears, etc. 
Make sure the ingredients are in the right order (are you using more xanthan than crushed red chiles, onion and garlic?)

Work with your AHJ for what contact information is required.  Bar codes are legally not required, usually required by distributors or larger store chains, but there are ways around that also.  And fwiw, neither are NIPs (Nutrition Information Panels)

And I'm just curious, what are the "white peppers" in The Devil's Due?

Thanks for sharing!

thegreenman said:
I'm no expert but I really like your labels. The consistent theme, and the simple background both work well.
I think Burn The Crow should be capitalized as the other names are, and I think some of the kerning is too tight especially on the first two labels. Otherwise i think your sauces would stand out favorably on a store sauce shelf.

Thank you. Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'kerning'?
As for the capitalization, we did try that and it didn't look right to me. If youloo at my profile picture, the sauce was originally called 'burn'. I thought the font was strong enough to not go with a capital 'B'.

one more note- I just asked Hubby who took French "back in the day" about the pronunciation and meaning of "Gemeniah Croix",  pronunciation sounding like "kroy" and meaning "cross".  not sounding like "crow".  Now i'm confused if it's Cross or Crow???:confused:

salsalady said:
Okay here we go again....

initial impression...I Like It!  Good simple design, theme works from one label to the next...several consistent things (like the net weights) and subtle variations (like the shadow crow).

Now the nit picky-
"Habanero Red" Hot Sauce sounds backwards, especially since it contains Red Habaneros
Can you use "The Devil's Due" or is that name taken?  It flows better as a hot sauce name than "The Devil His Due".
There's a typo in the 3rd sentence of the text on the Burn The Crow label.
For a legal label, you need to break out all the sub-ingredients of the things like Worcestershitshire, catsup, molasses, pears, etc. 
Make sure the ingredients are in the right order (are you using more xanthan than crushed red chiles, onion and garlic?)

Work with your AHJ for what contact information is required.  Bar codes are legally not required, usually required by distributors or larger store chains, but there are ways around that also.  And fwiw, neither are NIPs (Nutrition Information Panels)

Thanks for the feedback.
I thought 'Habanero Red' sounded cooler. simple as that. I'll explore the grammatical correctness for it though....
'The Devil His Due' is obviously shortened from the quote, 'giving the devil his due'. another term that just clicked with me. I don't think you can copyright that phrase? can you? i know it's a movie....'The Devil's Due' i'll ask around with other people as well...see if i can find a consensus...

what type did you see, or you yanking me around? LOL  haven't figured out what is going in the left panel of the other three labels as of yet...some odd lyric or poem quote....

In the original version of the spicy ketchup, i did have the ingredients broken down, but once it was that small, it was totally unreadable....novice mistake. I will have that corrected..

Once I am content with the labels in general, i plan to seek a official legal opinion on whether they are fully ready to go or not...

thank you for your input though! much appreciated!
salsalady said:
one more note- I just asked Hubby who took French "back in the day" about the pronunciation and meaning of "Gemeniah Croix",  pronunciation sounding like "kroy" and meaning "cross".  not sounding like "crow".  Now i'm confused if it's Cross or Crow??? :confused:

Haha.... The official name of the company is Gemini Crow.

The whole Geminiah Croix thing is a whole back story I am developing to use for marketing purposes, and to just create a story/aura/myth/fun aspect in all of this...... Geminiah Croix was a woman who was outed as a witch in the early 20th century. she lived on a farm, and all of the sauces I release, will be 'recipes' that were found in her abandoned house, etc etc.....  something like that...it's not fleshed out yet....With all the competition out there, you gotta find ways to stand out.....thought this would be a fun way to do it.....as for the name, the story was, over time, geminiah croix's sauces eventually morphed into the company now known as Gemini Crow.....

Just kidding you about the typo ;)  :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can't copyright a phrase like "give the Devil his due".  I was just wondering if there's another hot sauce out there called "The Devil's Due".  

Oh, and you'll need allergen alerts for several items also.

Great label basics, though.   

Age up the paper a bit...  something like this, and even add some areas that look like a burn, but not burned edges that's cheesy. Just something like water stains, dirt, a few burn marks (just a dark area that didn't quite create a hole). It would make it creepier.

aged_paper.jpg

salsalady said:
Just kidding you about the typo ;)  :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can't copyright a phrase like "give the Devil his due".  I was just wondering if there's another hot sauce out there called "The Devil's Due".  

Oh, and you'll need allergen alerts for several items also.

Great label basics, though.   

Thank You, SL. you have been a massive guide for me as I work my way through the beginning steps of all of this....

could you elaborate on the allergen alerts?

one thing already in the works, on the spicy ketchup, i will have a note saying that the product contains high fructose corn syrup......still looking for an affordable more organic version of ketchup to use while still affordable....

thank you again.

The Hot Pepper said:
Age up the paper a bit...  something like this, and even add some areas that look like a burn, but not burned edges that's cheesy. Just something like water stains, dirt, a few burn marks (just a dark area that didn't quite create a hole). It would make it creepier.

attachicon.gif
aged_paper.jpg

We went through several versions of a background with different items like you had mentioned. again, when the label is printed at the 3.25 x 5 sizing, gotta be real careful as stuff doesnt get blended into the background, but i am sure we can "burn' the label up a bit more. thanks!

GeminiCrow said:
one thing already in the works, on the spicy ketchup, i will have a note saying that the product contains high fructose corn syrup......still looking for an affordable more organic version of ketchup to use while still affordable....

DON'T do that, that sounds negative and can affect sales and first impressions. Just add it in the ingredients. Some people don't mind this ingredient but announcing it like it is bad could even put them off.

The Hot Pepper said:

DON'T do that, that sounds negative and can affect sales and first impressions. Just add it in the ingredients. Some people don't mind this ingredient but announcing it like it is bad could even put them off.

you are a smart pepper!  from NYC, so of course!   I live in NYC for 12 years before i got married and moved to the mountains of NW Jersey.

1) Make sure the wording in the banners matches the curvature of the banner, as in #1 you can see it goes high in the middle. In Habanero Red, "Red" dips down too fast.
2) I like the whole crow thing, but Gemini makes me think twins. Dueling crows? A split personality (Jeckle/Hyde)? Haha remember Heckle and Jeckle? I loved those magpies. I'm looking for some duality.
3) The Geminiah Croix may throw people on the front. Maybe it's in the story on the side. Makes more sense to me. A derivative of the name on the front may cause confusion. In the catsup it's cool though, being in the actual sauce name.
4) Make sure the All Natural is on all the products that are.
5) I like the theme and look! :)

I like the watermarked look and yea, like The Boss suggested, don't do the burned look, lots of others have that.  

On the background... I've looked at the labels on 2 different computers this evening and both have an odd grey-green back ground color.  I can't decide what the color is, maybe it's my screens or???...where I'm going with this is...Make SURE to print out some full color copies and try them out on your products.  They may work well with the product and they may look "off".  If you don't have a GOOD color printer, load the design onto a flash drive and have the local office supply despot print it out.  You can use Full Page label stock and just cut your labels to size while in the R&D phase.  Load all 4 designed onto 1 page to save wasting a lot of label stock  ;)  

Allergens- honey (not to be consumed by infants), molassas sometimes contain sulphites, Worchstr usually contains anchovies, wheat and soy....look at the label of what you're using and if it has an allergen alert on there, you have to have it on your label.  your inspector will help you make sure all that's on there.  and yea, it sucks, but you do have to list EVERYTHING in the ingredients.  There's room on that side of the label though.  The NIP can be configured differently and then list the ingredients as a paragraph below the NIP.  

You have your name listed twice, maybe consolidate the www. with the GCSC logo.   

OH, and +1 to not calling out HFCS.  It's in all catsups, try to find a brand that doesn't have it in the catsup, but if someone's going to eat catsup and they want a spicy one...I doubt they'll be put off by HFCS.

GeminiCrow said:

Thank you. Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'kerning'?
As for the capitalization, we did try that and it didn't look right to me. If youloo at my profile picture, the sauce was originally called 'burn'. I thought the font was strong enough to not go with a capital 'B'.
Kerning is the horizontal space between the letters, any good print layout editor ( or photoshop) will allow you to change this spacing. 

You can get rid of the name confusion by changing Gemeniah's last name to Corbeau or plural - Corbeaux (French for Crow or raven) and still keep the general theme going. 

thegreenman said:
Kerning is the horizontal space between the letters, any good print layout editor ( or photoshop) will allow you to change this spacing. 

You can get rid of the name confusion by changing Gemeniah's last name to Corbeau or plural - Corbeaux (French for Crow or raven) and still keep the general theme going. 

Thank ya for the kerning. I'll mention it to my designer...

as for the name, when i came up with it, it was more for a word that somewhat sounded like crow, and not neccesarily a translated word....  thank you though!

GeminiCrow said:
as for the name, when i came up with it, it was more for a word that somewhat sounded like crow, and not neccesarily a translated word....  thank you though!

And I think the Geico Gecko is doing just fine with that!

Please note, I say what I see, knee-jerk. I don't filter for hurt feelings because I'm offering an honest opinion on your labels. So don't get all butt hurt defensive if I say something you don't like. You and I can disagree and still be friends - it's just a disagreement. :cheers:

So that disclaimer out of the way, these labels don't entirely appeal to me, but I think they're fixable. I am trying to put my finger on what it is. Several major issues stand out to me - all correctable. There are a lot of sound ideas here, but IMO it needs a designer's touch to be massaged into something more coherent and directed.

For one, you don't frame in the poem (romance panel) - or the logo/name for that matter. It's all kinda 1-layer that blends together to my eye. For another, there is no romance panel - just a poem or words. Please - give a description, You say "Hot sauce people are smart. they know what it goes on...lol" - that's great and all, but why limit yourself to that? You only want chileheads to buy your sauce? The world's a big place full of dumb people who need to be told what to do with your sauce. It's a cornerstone of marketing - provide suggested uses. If you want to sell your sauce, tell people what to pair them with. For the ketchup, tell people to use it on french fries, even if that seems like the most intuitive thing ever. Trust me on this - while sad to lack fath in humanity to know their ass from a hole in the ground, the best marketing advice is to assume they do not, and provide a photo diagram of ass and ground hole with detailed instructions. lol 

Next - at a glance I don't know it's hot sauce. The only product that says what it is would be your ketchup. I know it's spicy ketchup - it says it right there in big friendly letters. But your others? If I'm not familiar with varietal peppers (and the vast majority of people are not) then I have no idea what your sauce is. You have big font saying "...A Gemeni------production" - you have zero font saying "Hot Sauce". Must have. Again - I'm a chilehead. I know what a Fatali or Ghost Pepper is. Most people don't.  So you have to tell people what it is. 

Edited to add - I just saw the "Hot Sauce" - wow - it's kinda buried up there, which is why I missed it. That's a challenge with a bold colorful label and a flat background. I would strongly consider relocating the "Hot Sauce" to under the product names. 

Another note on font size - some of your fonts are painfully small for my old eyes. That will be an issue with things like Nutrition Panel and unit of measure (e.g. 5 FL OZ) because they're regulated by the local inspector of your PA. I had to change one of mine to white, make them all bold, and increase the font sizes across the board. So I'll save you that headache by bringing attention to it now. If any of your fonts start to get "squinty small", you should probably think about increasing the size. 

Finally heat indicator. I have no idea how hot any of these sauces are because you haven't told me. When I first made labels I thought "I'll just put a little thermometer on the side" - that bit me. I ended up revising my labels so on the front it says "hot, med, mild, extra hot" etc. I also have the thermometer on the side, and in the Romance Panel description I tell people how hot they each are in anecdotal form "this dog has bite!" or "respectable heat" or other colorful ways of conveying it. So I've told people 3 times on the bottle how hot they are. This is critical - people tend to fear hot sauce right now because of the vast amounts of "shock value" marketing in the sauce world. You need to tell people "this is a food product that you should use on food. You won't win a bet or get 1,000,000 hits on YouTube for eating a tsp."  I mean - not in those words, but the label is your vehicle to communicate with your audience - you need to package your messages and tell them what they are holding in their hand. I think you're missing almost all of that. It's a nifty cool poem and a cool watermark crow - I like that stuff. And it kinda has that Gothic feel to it, but all you're telling me is that. The kethup is the only sauce that I know what it is at a glance. 

Again - I offer all of this as constructive - I tend to be acerbic but it's all based from a good place. You're right about Ann - she rocks and was instrumental in helping me to get off the ground, which is a big reason why I do what I can to help others. If I come off like a jerk with any of this, that's not my intention - just calling it like I see it. I think there are excellent pieces to these labels. You have a consistent broad theme that's easily expandable and uniform across all products. That's hard to do, so well done there. 

Now you need to add some design cues so it draws the viewer in and focuses the eye on the crow & the product name, and add "hot sauce" somewhere I'll see it, like above the FL OZ and below the names (except the ketchup, since you broke theme there and just named it Spicy Ketchup)  - and you need to tell me heat levels for the products. 

And I do love the watermark raven / Gothic font thing, even though I think it's a bit overdone these days. People like it though so while it's not my style, I do think it works with the paper/watermark. 

I also agree with THP about the burnt/aged paper look - that might be interesting to see. 

Good luck! 
:cheers:

edited - I missed "hot sauce" - which tells me it's poorly located. To my eye they get totally lost behind the bold color. All the background blurs together. 

Other notes (both minor nits) 

1. Agree with SL about "Devil His Due" - when you explain it, I get it. When I first read it I thought it read poorly and I wondered about the grimmer. The meaning was also not intuitive. If I'm looking at it on a shelf at a store I wouldn't get it. 
2. On that same label, the shading is inconsistent with your other labels. On the other 3, there's a "3D" kind of shading to the product names - the Devil His Due looks flat comparatively. 
Oop - another thing...

Labels 1 & 3 say "all natural"

Label #2 does not. 

Label 4 is the spicy ketchup which you said contains high fructose corn syrup (and I agree with the boss on that one too - list it, don't say another word about it) so not all natural. 

But reading ingredients of #s 1 & 3 I don't see where they're not all natural? 

Also speaking of ingredients, you'll need to list them by order of content. It appears they're not that way. 
:)

I also need to rephrase something I said earlier - even as a chilehead I want to know what the flavor profile & pairings are with a given hot sauce. If it says "great on eggs, pizza, oysters!" that's gonna go a long way towards my purchase. I will get to thinking of ways to use them. But the other aspect of a romance pannel is you can give me an idea about the flavor profiles.

Here are things that help the consumer make a purchase decision:
Is the vinegar muted or is it a vinegary sauce (note: both are ok, but if I like one and it's the other I'll be disappointed in my purchase)
Is the sauce savory? Sweet? Other? 
Is the sauce garlicy?
How strong of a blackberry flavor is it? Is it a spicy pancake syrup type sauce or a very subtle barely detectable note of subtle bliss? 
Is this sauce salty? Does it emulate an existing category (e.g. Louisiana style)? 

And then heat levels. Can't stress this one enough. Even chileheads want to know how hot it is. 

Back