• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Crock Pickles

OK.

Fresh Cukes

8 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1 cup vinegar

Pepper, garlic, dill etc.

Scrubbed, placed all in a sealed crock at 68F or so. 7 days later.........great pickles.

I plan to keep them in the fridge, in the brine.

They taste great.

Any suggestions? Anyone do it differently? If so WHY? ;)

Do that with olives. Spicy olives are AWESOME.

I did not list adjuncts, I am more needing tips on technique and sanitation.

cheezydemon said:
OK.

Fresh Cukes

8 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1 cup vinegar

Pepper, garlic, dill etc.

Scrubbed, placed all in a sealed crock at 68F or so. 7 days later.........great pickles.

I plan to keep them in the fridge, in the brine.

They taste great.

Any suggestions? Anyone do it differently? If so WHY? ;)

Cheezy...I would have thought that only 1/2 cup of vinegar would be too little. What say you? Is this your recipe or based on another? I'm with IGG in that I would also add chiles. Don't tell mrs. blues.....ssshhh!! I'd love to stink up the Blues Kitchen with a crockpot of pickles.

Cheers, TB.

Lol. It is 1 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup salt.

The brine tastes about like juice from a pickle jar. I'd say it's about right.

cheezydemon said:
Lol. It is 1 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup salt.

The brine tastes about like juice from a pickle jar. I'd say it's about right.

I swear I wasn't drunk when I read the recipe! TB's reading and comprehension skills....FAIL.

I might have to try that in the fall.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
I swear I wasn't drunk when I read the recipe!
I think I was, but can't remember. I guess it's a safe bet to assume I'm drunk at all times....just to be safe. (Psssst... I'm drunk now)

These are very close to the pickles I make each year and then process in mason jars. My nephew goes nuts for these, he would eat a jar a day if his parents let him.. I want to give fermented pickles ( kosher style) a go this year.. bascially salt water brine then as the pickles ferment they create their own lactic acid.. totally different taste to vinegar brine but I can't really choose which I like better..

http://www.eco-natural.com/recipes/pickles.html

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/05/arthur_schwartz_1.html

Ashen said:
These are very close to the pickles I make each year and then process in mason jars. My nephew goes nuts for these, he would eat a jar a day if his parents let him.. I want to give fermented pickles ( kosher style) a go this year.. bascially salt water brine then as the pickles ferment they create their own lactic acid.. totally different taste to vinegar brine but I can't really choose which I like better..

http://www.eco-natural.com/recipes/pickles.html

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/05/arthur_schwartz_1.html

Thanks for the links!

They are delicious already.

I think I will refridgerate and be fine.

I make my own pickling spice blend from whole seeds at the hippy grocery store. Dill seed, mustard seed, whole buncha other stuff. I just mix it all up in a bigass jar so when I make my pickles I can just give a quick shake and add a few spoonfulls to the brine.

There you go five star.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I just think that people believe the special blend of mysterious "pickling spice" has some power of preservation in it that must be used when pickling. Not so.

cheezydemon said:
There you go five star.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I just think that people believe the special blend of mysterious "pickling spice" has some power of preservation in it that must be used when pickling. Not so.

You're exactly right Cheezy! Pickling spices have more to do with flavor than actual preservation. Pickles will be preserved by the vinegar and salt, but they'll taste like vinegar and salt unless there's some spice in the mix. I make what I call "Pickled stuff" that includes, but is not limited to.... Brocolini, asparagus, habs, cukes, garlic, cauliflour, and any other veggie you can think to preserve with my spice mix. Nothing like a jar of Pickled stuff with some beer and a ball game!

Back