• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Cross country nurseries 7 pots look like scorps

Since I can't grow a proper garden these days due to living conditions... (no yard) all I can do is some pots and results are still varied and coming in...

I ordered two boxes from cross country for some seeds and I dehydrate the suckers... maybe I'll turn some into sauce.

The yellow 7 pots have scorpion tails... They assure me these are yellow 7 pots but they look like yellow scorpions. I know these 2 pepper varieties are closely related. Very pretty pods.

251038_4571176919543_2084351461_n.jpg

The yellow 7 pots had stingers... They told me it's normal and lots of the yellow 7 pots grew stingers. Gorgeous pods...

That is correct. I have seen many yellow 7 pots with stingers.

They do look nice. I have received several packages from some of the better growers on this site and many of them have stingers. My yellow 7 's have only had a few with tails. But not a dominant as the ones you have.

Nice looking pods, they would be great for a sauce/paste, those looks just like my yellow trinidad scorpion.
I have a couple other plants that are yellow 7 pot X yellow Trinidad scorpion that grow the tails they both taste similar.

Nice looking pods, they would be great for a sauce/paste, those looks just like my yellow Trinidad Scorpion.
I have a couple other plants that are yellow 7 pot X yellow Trinidad scorpion that grow the tails they both taste similar.

gee i wonder where you got those?? LOL ;) would like to see what they look like 2nd generation

Yeah its true there is quite a bit of confusion anymore in this area, and those peppers look alot like Yellow Morouga, so yeah there is quite a bit of confusion

thanks your friend Joe

Ajijoes right i got the two different varieties from him along with many other ones.
The one that got me stumped what the red scorpanero's #2 one plant produced red pods another one there like peach and another one there brown and i had one produce one white pod(all from the same seeds there all hot), a bug got that pod and the plant didn't produce another one.

i just finished deseeding some yellow 7's and yellow scorpions and my 7's look exactly like yours, dimples and all. the scorps were smoother and the stingers if they had one were smooth and dull.
but, on inspecting my other containers(i have 2, yellow 7 pot plants and 2, yellow scorpions) the smaller scorpions have wicked little stingers but the pods are small.

just love the taste of the yellow 7's, i intentionally cut around the placenta so i could hold the flavour longer............ a slice of yellow scorp is still on the cutting board.... waiting for the 7 burn to fade.

oh, my seeds came from pepperlover.

enjoy your fruits.

Ajijoes right i got the two different varieties from him along with many other ones.
The one that got me stumped what the red scorpanero's #2 one plant produced red pods another one there like peach and another one there brown and i had one produce one white pod(all from the same seeds there all hot), a bug got that pod and the plant didn't produce another one.
THE SCORPANERO'S are my own strain and mine are doing the same thing. mutation inside of mutation gotta love it

thanks your friend Joe

so.......... just had the slice of yellow scorp that was on the cutting board........... 7 wins, scorp was a close second but the 7 flavour was just fruitier and lingered longer. the scorpion had a milder fruity taste but then seems to have left more of that hab flavour on my breath. i think the scorp was hotter but not by much. oh, and i just did the nose touchy thing(no i didn't use gloves).

I picked some mostly ripe ones to take a pic to post here for a comparison but the batteries are dead so i try to get a pic up tomorrow if possible.

In my opinion 99% of all the so called new strains are mostly crosses.
Not natural mutations.
If you look at the original 7 pots and Scorpions there was very little difference in pod shape but sometimes in heat.
With very few people growing seeds out in isolation for more than a few seasons and then calling whatever a new strain it's pretty rediculous to say most of the 7 pots etc. are stable.
But with the $ involved in seed sales for something that put out a different heat or pod shape it is getting insane.

The first Yellow Scorpion was,to my knowledge The Yellow Scorpion FG.
Seeds were sent to a LOT of people because the guy who originaly got the yellow pods wanted to see if it was a stable mutation or a cross.
He caught a LOT crap from everyone saying there was no such thing as a yellow Scorpion.
The Yellow FG had and has the longest tail I've ever seen on a scorpion.AND that was when Scorpions were hard to tell apart from 7 pots.
Search posts/info about/from Cardi 7 pots and Scorpions about 5 +yrs ago.Before the super hot insanity started.

The first Scorpions and 7 pots were pretty much like the Jonah 7 pot and Jonah Scorpion.
The Jonah Scorpion ,According to Butch,May or MAY not have crossed with a cumari to grow the Butch T.
Now I see so many pod variations called Butch T I doubt unless you got seeds from Butch years ago ,you probably have a different version.
But with all the $ in selling seeds and pods,the sellers don't care what they have as long as the $ keeps coming in.

I have Scotch Bonnetsw that are true that look a lot like the pods you pictured.
No where near the heat.Great taste though,but I love bonnets.

My point is that these days you get what you get.
I have done a lot of buying from established seed vendors over the years.
MOST aren't trying to rip you off.
They are seeing the varieties people ask for and buy seed for whatever they think will sell.
They buy seed from whoever supplies them.
Especially with super hots,it's a crap shoot as far as stability is concerned these days.
Just because a test grow grew pods as expected doesn't mean the variety is stable.
100-1000 seeds that grew true out of 100,000,000 isn't going to show you variety or hybrid traits as a consdtant-stable hybrid.
These days you more or less are tossing the dice as to what you'll get.
All you can hope for,in general is to be in the ballpark.

Heck,I have a cross that I made that is a Orange Habanero De Arbol that the first year I crossed it with an Aji Rojo.
It put out red pods with Baccatum Flowers.Next season it got crossed with a yellow scorpion.
Now I have a red pod that has tails with a Baccatum flower with gold specks.
It seems stable but is only 2/3rd generation.
7 Pot looks , scorpion tails,baccatum flowers.Oh ya,heavy producer.
Cool cross.
Maybe I should go for the record for worlds hottest Baccatum....

Sorry about the delay first time trying to post a pic here, anyhow the pepper on the top left is the 7 pot yellow and the rest are 7 pot X trinidad scorpions with the tails, the larger the pepper the smaller the tail.

057_zps876563d4.jpg

i stand corrected on my last reply i looked at the wrong pick

they look nothing like the parent pods THEY LOOK EVEN BETTER those are awesome looking pods i bet there vicious too!!

im sure some may want seed from these 2 generation pods

its always great to see how they turn out i dont always all the wild crosses i offer
nice very nice indeed

thanks your friend Joe

Back