breeding cross pollinate

I was just told not to plant alot of different peppers together as they will cross pollinate. Tell me that isn't so......

They will but it won't affect the fruit only the seeds. Any crosses won't show unless you save seed and plant them.

MoWhiskey said:
Any suggestions how far to plant apart as I'm saving seeds on certain ones that I like...

Unless you have serious land, isolation by distance is impractical. You can bag individual blossoms or branches to prevent cross pollination of those particular pods you want to save seed from. 

Bags like this work pretty well & you should be able to find them at a local craft store or pretty cheap online.

MoWhiskey said:
I have been told to cover, but in doing so how do they get polinated :confused:

Self pollination which is what you want if you are saving seeds for next year (unless you are trying to get crosses) Pepper flowers have both male and female parts so the pepper will pollinate all by itself !

I find that if you 'tag' a few flowers that havent opened yet then cover the whole plant with a fine mesh so no pollinating insects can get in, that does the trick. As soon as you see the fruit coming from behind the tagged flowers then you know the seeds from those fruit will be true to the parent plant.

Oh yeah and only save seed from the healthiest looking fruit.

There's loads of threads on seed saving on this site - have a look mate and good luck.

TXCG said:

Unless you have serious land, isolation by distance is impractical. You can bag individual blossoms or branches to prevent cross pollination of those particular pods you want to save seed from. 

Bags like this work pretty well & you should be able to find them at a local craft store or pretty cheap online.
Yup.
Using similar.
Stops bugs from pollinating, but wind may still carry pollen through the bag.
More likely they will self pollinate though.
6"X4" bags are what I am using, and seem to be about the right size to allow the leaves and flowers inside to grow and move.

Back