• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Cross Pollination or What?

While living in Jamaica I grew this red Habanero from local Jamaican seeds for 5 years. I was told there the seeds were scotch bonnet (aquired from small farm, farmer told me) but if anything it could be a cross IMO or a Jamaican red hab. To this day I’m still growing the same peppers just many generations later and now in south FL.

Normally my peppers look like these below and eventually turn all red, btw they taste great!

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

This year I started some new plants to gift family and friends, so now I have around 15 of the same breed from same seeds, gen 8/9. Of the 15 plants, one is producing peppers like this below, can anyone explain this? Is this due to cross pollination from bees or something else? I haven't tried one of these yet as I've been waiting to see if it changes. FYI, the plant is only around 2' tall, only has 3 peppers on it, all look the same and the other 14 plants are producing reds. Hope someone can shed some light ...

99901697126837162857.jpg

Sorry but It kind of looks like your others---there is variations in you pods above---is not the bottom one the same as the ones above?

Or do you mean all the others are red already and this plant still has them green? If so just let it go till it gets red; some plants are later than others; it is natural to have variations. Just do not save the seeds if you do not like them.

The bottom pic looks to be lighter green than the green on the above pods. Yes, probably a cross of some sort. Have you grown any varieties other than these? Peppers cross easily.

Sorry but It kind of looks like your others---there is variations in you pods above---is not the bottom one the same as the ones above?
Yes there is a variation in shape but I was speaking of the difference in pigmentation/color of the pod. Even though they produce different shapes, they all go thru the color change you see above and in the end turn red. Possible it’s harder to see from pictures, because to my naked eye the green doesn’t even closely resemble the green of my other peppers. The only thing the same is the shape and leaves.

Or do you mean all the others are red already and this plant still has them green? If so just let it go till it gets red; some plants are later than others; it is natural to have variations. Just do not save the seeds if you do not like them.
Yes I’m letting it go as long as possible, the strange thing is that the other plants close to it (same breed) are all producing a darker green to the end red and they’re all the same age.

The bottom pic looks to be lighter green than the green on the above pods. Yes, probably a cross of some sort. Have you grown any varieties other than these? Peppers cross easily.
Thanks, I think you verified my original thought and yes within 20 to 30 feet either way I have other peppers; red Thai, Jalapeño, Cayenne and Datil. But the other peppers are greatly outnumbered by my favorite Jamaicans.

Back