• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross pollination

With most of you chili heads growing many varieties, how do you prevent cross pollination? Is cross polination even a problem with your seed harvest?

johnoink ... I certainly can't speak for everyone . When you talk about preventing cross pollination I'm sure you mean you would like to get "true" seeds for the next season. Some people get peppers that they like ....taste , shape , heat , yada yada from the deepest part of their plants. They use those for seeds. And if you have a large variety plants that's the simplest way. You hope the wind or Bees didn't pollen in that deep.

The only way to be sure is distance for isolation or closing off some pods. You can make " tea bag " type of things to cover a few pods . Or you can make a sleeve type thing which would be bigger , but maybe easier to work with , and cover a whole branch with several flowers.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Johnoink. You cant prevent cross polination while the plant is outside unless you use methods of isolating pods like P-Dredie gave you
Personally i polinate manually with a paint brush, inside before i put the plant goes outside. I then mark off the pods that i polinated with a peice of string. I use a specific brush for each variety i polinate. That way i dont have to worry about wind or insects.

I bring flowering container plants indoors(or greenhouse) for a while until they get pollinated then I label the pods and return the plant outdoors. I also have a friend a few miles away and I lone him plants until they get pollinated and then exchange for new plants. You can also pick early pods if possible before pollinating insects get a chance to do their work

Back