• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Cross Question..

This year I will be attempting to cross pollinate my first pepper. Just have a question perhaps a THP member knows the answer to.

Do the traits to the F1 come from the parents 50/50 or do they tend to lean toward the mothers side of the family? Or is it kind of random?

I have finally figured out my technique for pollination thanks to a THP member and his black spoon post. I tried it using some pollen collected from my peter peppers and using it to pollinate half a dozen reaper pods. That was for practice emasculating unopened flowers and pollinating.

My plan is to cross both ways as many times as I can.

Pepper A x Pepper B
And then
Pepper B x Pepper A

Then I will select the 3 best pods from each plant with the cross in them. F1 season I will be growing 2 plants from each of those pods. Of those 12 plants I will take the best pods from the best plant. From my research 12 plants should be enough that not all of them revert back to the parent plants. Hopefully 1 or 2 continue the cross. A bunch of years and alot of dirt/pictures/journal entrys from now, with a little luck I will have a stable pepper I can slap my name on. Why not, I will be growing peppers anyway, might as well have something to show for it

LordHill said:
This year I will be attempting to cross pollinate my first pepper. Just have a question perhaps a THP member knows the answer to.

Do the traits to the F1 come from the parents 50/50 or do they tend to lean toward the mothers side of the family? Or is it kind of random?

I have finally figured out my technique for pollination thanks to a THP member and his black spoon post. I tried it using some pollen collected from my peter peppers and using it to pollinate half a dozen reaper pods. That was for practice emasculating unopened flowers and pollinating.

My plan is to cross both ways as many times as I can.

Pepper A x Pepper B
And then
Pepper B x Pepper A

Then I will select the 3 best pods from each plant with the cross in them. F1 season I will be growing 2 plants from each of those pods. Of those 12 plants I will take the best pods from the best plant. From my research 12 plants should be enough that not all of them revert back to the parent plants. Hopefully 1 or 2 continue the cross. A bunch of years and alot of dirt/pictures/journal entrys from now, with a little luck I will have a stable pepper I can slap my name on. Why not, I will be growing peppers anyway, might as well have something to show for it

Traits of the F1 will be the dominant traits of the parents. Hypothetically it is possible that all traits come from one parent. It is not random. Only traits of F2+ are random.

Choosing the best pod makes no difference, except for seed count. The genetics will be the same. Choosing the plant is the important part. 

In F2 and onwards it is important to choose the right plants to take seeds from. The more you grow the more likely you are to find the combination of traits you are looking for. 

Back