• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Cross Question

A couple of years ago, I grew a Mustard Hab plant next to a bunch of frutescens pepper plants.  I had saved seeds from a couple of pods from the Mustard Hab plant.  This year I grew a few seeds out and some of the plants look like Mustard Habs but one plant is a frutescens.  The pods are growing up, are red and just come off the plant just like a tabasco.  Is it possible that a cross would show frutescens traits when the Habanero is the mother plant?

bpiela said:
A couple of years ago, I grew a Mustard Hab plant next to a bunch of frutescens pepper plants.  I had saved seeds from a couple of pods from the Mustard Hab plant.  This year I grew a few seeds out and some of the plants look like Mustard Habs but one plant is a frutescens.  The pods are growing up, are red and just come off the plant just like a tabasco.  Is it possible that a cross would show frutescens traits when the Habanero is the mother plant?
I think the proof is in the pods you are now growing. 

Definitely possible but would normally be in the F2 generation. I would have thought all the F1 plants should be the same..?

My understanding is that every seed inside of the same pod can have a different pollen donor. So just because one seed grows as a cross/hybrid doesn't mean the others will. It takes one pollen grain to pollenate one seed in a fruit. I could be wrong but that's what I've seen mentioned numerous times.

Back