• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Cross Talk

Mr. Hill said:
I have three more now getting color!!!  here is two of them..  

tqAkJK8.jpg

Also a unknown cross, a Not Peach T.S. :)
DaB1L7F.jpg
Fine looking pods you got there.

Tons of cool crosses! Here are a few of my newest ones in development:

7 Pot Jonah x Trinidad Scorpion Yellow (pods ripen to orange on all three plants):
15544687182_608b5bb080_c.jpg

Bahamanaga (Bahamian Goat x Naga Morich):
15544686452_d0de431b7a_c.jpg

TSMB (mother) x Fatalii (father) - last year, I did the reverse and the next generation is ripening.
14923669843_28ca4eec07_c.jpg

Fatalii (mother) x TSMB (father) from last year. The newest generation is currently ripening.
112113004_zps43836ad4.jpg

Well I let the cross ripen longer and yep it turned Red..  and after last nights test I am have to say it's darn hot maybe second hottest pepper I ate only behind the Black Naga. I had the sweets from a piece that you all would LOL at me for eating it was so small. :) The biggest one was 18 grm. 
ly0bgfe.jpg

kWEAocA.jpg

Really nice pods, I like pods that are big twisted and covered in spikes as they up the scare factor.  I have two varieties the  7 pod red Savannah and a Antilles fire that I want to cross, both are big and covered in spikes and bumps.  The savannah is crazy hot and the Antilles fire is pretty hot also not as hot as the savannah, but right up there their flavor isn't to bad either.

wildseed57 said:
Really nice pods, I like pods that are big twisted and covered in spikes as they up the scare factor.  I have two varieties the  7 pod red Savannah and a Antilles fire that I want to cross, both are big and covered in spikes and bumps.  The savannah is crazy hot and the Antilles fire is pretty hot also not as hot as the savannah, but right up there their flavor isn't to bad either.
All you can do is try to make the cross. :)  I hope a few of the crosses I tried this year works, as to the super hots I didn't go for taste just the opposite ;)  I did try to make a pepperoncini x Bell cross for some flavor peppers. :)  Bad thing about making crosses wont know for Months if you really made the cross or just Made some self pollinated peppers. LOL

Today I picked three pods off a plant did nothing all summer,  it just sat there, then in late August it put out a few blooms most fell off do to the weather, which was lousy for long maturation peppers.   I ended up with three pods one of the pods had so much damage from pepper maggots I threw the whole pod in the burn barrel and kept the other two pods.  If I remember right it is a Chocolate Moruga X Yellow Brain Strain this is the chocolate phenotype of that cross,  I believe it is a F1 but I'm not sure and as there was just 4 or 5 seeds I got luck getting it to grow as the other seedlings got a helmet head or damp off and died. I'm not a fan of Chocolate or purple crosses,  but as the pods are really mean looking I hope to keep the pod shape going I don't care about how hot it is, but I'm sure it will light me up when I try a piece of one of the pods, I can't remember who sent them to me, at any case it should be a great pepper with enough heat to satisfy most pepper lovers.  I won't know anything about this and some others till 2016 as my grow for 2015 will be all wilds.

I found several really good reviews from Nigel on YouTube.  Two of them I  really wanted to hear what he said about the Savannah and the Antilles Fire,  I didn't grow the Savannah this year so i just wrote down some of the info he described about it,  like the taste, heat and so on, i had one plant of the Antilles Fire grow for me and made 5 pods,It got off to a bad start with the weather and hardly grew or developed to the near end if the season.  This pepper had undergone a change with the pods which were very dark red very bumpy and spiky and the tail end of the pods had folded in on themselves and tried to go back inside of the pod.  After cutting it in half I really had to cut the pod up inside just to pry the seeds out of the placenta. The aroma was very nice and not overpowering.  
I did cut a small piece just to get an idea what the taste and  heat of the pepper was,  first off it wasn't a super hot, but the heat began to slowly build to a point much hotter than any habanero,  the Flavor was sweet with a touch of floral and berry like that reminded me more of an red seven pod.   About the time I was getting some more flavors the heat kicked in and I lost any flavor it might have had left, Most of the heat stayed in my mouth and I didn't get any of the annoying hiccups nor stomach cramps.

This is about all I can say about as my taste buds are shot and when the heat comes on I can't tell what anything taste like especially if its really hot.
 If you like a decent sized pod that looks scary as hell with bumps, spikes and folds you might want to give this one a try. I got a few unknown choco moruga types that are just plain vicious By the time I eat a piece of one of them I couldn't tell you if they had any flavor or not. Chris shared some seeds of a Chocolate Bhut X yellow 7Pod/Pot Its now at F5 or F6 its a real ripper lots and lots of oil, very hot so hot it took my breath away.  it does some good flavor notes earthy, bitter, Tobacco and maybe some black currants its not very  sweet and the fumes really set out to attack your sinuses. the worst was the burps that I got along it the hiccups, the burps kept bringing back up the oils and small bits of the pod making the pod flair back up again. If you like a good size chocolate pepper that is more bitter, earthy, tobacco like with black currents in the back ground without much sweetness this one is for you. It will make a good pepper powder for chili or on strong flavored roast.

I'm not any good at reviews as I had a bout with cancer and my taste buds are pretty much shot,  when it comes to hot peppers, I can't take the heat like I could when I was younger, back then the peppers were not so hot that you would rather slam your hand in a car door rather than eat a whole hot pod.
I'm doing good just eating a small piece and trying to tell what flavors it might have, one reason I'm so amazed by Nigel and some of the other reviews done by members here.
I tried to taste what a Red brain strain tasted like and just had a piece about a 1/4 of it and I never got past the heat , which stripped all the flavor from my mouth and scrambled my ability to think about anything except how long could I go before grabbing a glass of milk and a PB&J which as it turned out was not very long.
At 63 I'm getting to the point that I would rather turn my hot peppers into a dried powder to use on my food so I can tell just how much I would need to heat things up a few notches rather than trying to eat one fresh, I do like the sauces and salsas that I make using them,  I get a much better idea of what they might taste like that way. I think that I will leave the reviews to the younger and braver guys and girls here.

Back