• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Crossing Capsicum Pubescens

Does anyone have any experience crossing Pubescens with each other? I have looked for info regarding Pubescens crosses, and haven't found much. Obviously I know that crossing a Pubescens with any other variety, like Chinense, Baccatum, Annuum, is nearly impossible. I am talking about crossing individual rocoto cultivars with each other to enhance color, size, pumgency, productivity, etc. I plan on trying it out next year anyway, but has anyone tried it, or has any cross recommendations that has worked well for them?

I saw at least one unintentional cross in my pubes this year from my saved seeds. One is a elongated red from my round yellow seeds. I didn't plant ANY red pubes this year, so I know it wasn't mislabeled or anything. That's all I have to add, never tried to cross em on purpose. 

That's cool, Hogleg. That definitely seems completely different from the main cultivar's seeds. That makes me feel more confident that a controlled cross could work.

I also overlap my rocoto for increased fruit production GIP. I haven't ever seen any differences in pods though, from the previous years overlapped plants seeds though, even when overlapping multiple cultivars.

Of course C. pubescens will cross and produce viable seeds with one another. The easiest crosses are within the same species. In fact, it is the only species within the 5 "domesticated" species that it will cross with (within itself).

Thanks for the info! Do you have any experience with crossing them? I assume the same rules apply for crossing Pubescens, as for any pepper, but I haven't really seen any threads on here of people actually doing it. I plan on crossing one of my cultivars that is extremely spicy, but not very prolific, with one of my less spicy, but extremely prolific varieties, to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

You should have some success. They seem to be like some of the other solance family plants & want companions, even though it isn't completely necessary. Keep us updated on how it turns out, sounds like a neat project.

Back