• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Csigi Salubrious Savina

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Product Reviewed:
Csigi Chili Sauce Salubrious Savina
Company:
Csigi Chili Sauce
www.csigichilisauce.com
TheHotPepper Member:
csigi_chili_sauce
Listed Ingredients:
Vinegar, habanero Red Savina chilies, roasted red peppers, Roma tomatoes, extra coarse sea salt, Turbinado sugar, garlic, spices, arrowroot.
Label/Packaging:
High concept design.
Heat Index:
Awards:
3rd Place, 2006 Scovie Awards

Csigi... pronounced "siggy", I imagine. Or is it "see gee"?

I like the colors on the label, but I don't quite get the logo. Some sort of abstract painting? Anyway...

Let's forget the name and the label. This is one heck of a sauce! I used it as a dipping sauce for a Cuban empanada (Cuban sandwich style empanada), and I mixed it in with my Cuban beef stew. Delicious! This sauce has red peppers and tomatoes, so it's perfect for adding to stews.

Spoon test:

Perfectly pungent... nice little tang going on. The Red Savina flavor is bright. There's a slight burn a few seconds later that lingers for a few seconds and then disappears. Makes your lips burn too. Nice! It's liquidy and coarse, if that makes any sense. It's not one of those sauces that clogs up the bottle, which is nice. It's smooth, with some texture, like they liquefied part of the sauce, pulsed the other, and added them together. Either that or they have food processors with multiple personalities. Really nice job on consistency.

Arrow root as a thickening agent... these guys are all about quality. No corn starch here! Arrowroot is expensive, and it's a great thickener that adds it's own unique flavor. Turbinado sugar. Quality.

Great flavor, nice heat... perfect for stews and sandwiches.

Attachments

• csigiemp.jpg
    csigiemp.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 227
  • csigistew.jpg
    csigistew.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 198
Csigi, is a Hungarian name. The 'cs' is pronounced like 'ch' in cheese.. So it sounds like 'Chiggy' Chile Sauce... :(

I hope this helps. Thanks for the kudos on the review. You are also correct in the label being an abstract painting of sorts. Look closely, you can see the eyeballs, the stems coming out of the heads, the spit and the tongues coming from the mouths of the screamin' chile peppers that just ate some hot stuff! :(

My sister is a killer artist and that was taken from her sketchpad after some water color paint was applied.. There were many prototypes but this was the final logo design that I approved. Some see it right away, while it leaves others scratching their heads.. :P Which is fine because I'm all about getting people to use their noggins! :)

One more tid bit of info. I decided to use the arrowroot because of how awesome it works in thickening sauces. It doesn't change the color or the flavor, just leaves your sauce with a fantastic consistency. As long as it's not over processed (ie. using your blender or food processor on super-high for 5 minutes), which happened with my first 2 commercial batches about 2 years ago. Teaching these co-packing places how to do things how you want them can be a tedious and harsh task! But all things squared away and the sauces don't separate using the arrowroot. Great stuff!

Thanks again! -Lars-

csigi_chili_sauce said:
Which is fine because I'm all about getting people to use their noggins! :(
salubrious suh-LOO-bree-us, adjective:
Favorable to health; promoting health; healthful.

I had to look that up too... lol! I like your approach, not dumbing things down for the commercial market. Nice personal touches.

Back