• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Culling Pods

Does anyone cull pods to try to grow bigger pods? I have 4 mucho nacho plants that are producing like crazy, but none of them are up to or even near the 6" mark they claim is achievable. Each plant has 30-40 pods on it though. Thinking if I kept them in waves of 10 each plant until they are about 3/4 the size I would like then letting a smaller 10 start up might help them grow bigger. I also have some Big Jims that I was going to give the longest pod contest a go with, so wondering the same thing there. I think on them I will keep 1 or 2 of the best looking pods on each plant until they are done, then let them produce at will...not too worried about suffering a on the production #'s. I have plenty of green chilis in the freezer, and if I harvested 20 a pop with the Mucho Nacho's I would have ample for a nice tray of poppers for the family.

Anyone tried this?

i thought there was a theory that picking pods off forced more to set?

if you have two plants of same type may be able to try to 'have a go at it' both ways and see

good growing

:drooling:

I just pulled two pods off one of my plants, but only because the stems were halfway chewed through by something and the plant was probably wasting energy trying to keep them going.

Been plucking flowers on mine that get them. They are all under 9 inches tall so I don't want pods to set and take energy from plant growth.

I have been plucking off the small pods that weren't true giant jalapeno shape just small dime size pods and now they look to be acting right.

i thought there was a theory that picking pods off forced more to set?

if you have two plants of same type may be able to try to 'have a go at it' both ways and see

good growing

:drooling:
Maybe...but as more formed I would just keep pulling until the "keepers" were the size I was looking for.

I just pulled two pods off one of my plants, but only because the stems were halfway chewed through by something and the plant was probably wasting energy trying to keep them going.
Yeah...same pricipal, but with good pods.

Been plucking flowers on mine that get them. They are all under 9 inches tall so I don't want pods to set and take energy from plant growth.
Another potential benefit would definitely be larger plants. If I limit the # of pods the plant could also use more energy on growth.

Just did the same on my Mucho Nachos, had a bunch of runts...that is another course I was thinking of taking. Just pulling all the ones that are lagging and see if it helps the others get any bigger.
I have been plucking off the small pods that weren't true giant jalapeno shape just small dime size pods and now they look to be acting right.

I know this...I have a bell that only set one pod to begin with, it has finally started to ripen and also just set its second pod. The one that developed solo if freak of nature HUGE for a typical bell variety. Wasn't one of the oversized varieties but it is still the largest bell pepper I have ever grown??? That's what led me to the thought of trying it with my contest plants.

Back