seeds Culling seedlings of crosses: What traits to look for?

Question: When growing seedlings of pepper crosses, are there any traits that indicate a successful future pepper plant, such as color or number of cotyledons?

The reason I ask is because I want to grow Habaneros this year, so I got this Habanero (or what was labeled as one at least) at the farmer's market the other week and planted the seeds from it:

mixedhab1.jpg

It was a pretty tasty and attractive pepper, so I thought why not.

Well, the seeds all sprouted and there's a TON of variation:

orange_hab_top.jpg

orange_hab_close.jpg

Obviously this pepper was a cross, or cross pollinated, so now I'm in a pickle. Which seedlings do I keep?

I'm going to let them grow out a bit longer before culling, but I'm wondering if there are any indications this early on as to which seedlings might be the most promising. I did some searching and couldn't find any answers other than "pick the bigger one" and "no, pick the smaller one", soooooo yeah.

Which ones would you choose?

Well I hardly have room for two more plants, let alone eight, so 6 of these guys have got to go. I have plenty of seeds left to play around with next year, but hoping to get some guidance on predicting cross viability from seedling traits.

If not, I'll just keep the most interesting, healthiest looking ones and cross my fingers.

Back