• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Cumari - Chinense or Praetermissium?

During a forum search, I found a few topics discussing Cumari, which is a pepper I've never heard of. Sounds really interesting, supposedly has a fruit-loopy smell and a fruity taste with good heat.

According to the posts in the forum, there are two variants--a Chinense and a wild (hard-to-grow) Praetermissium strain. thechileman lists regular "Cumari" as the Praetermissium type and "Cumari do Para" as the chinense. A third one is listed, but I don't think that's the one (it's red). Even more confusing, the image in the forum (from peppermania.com) shows something similar to the "Cumari do Para" at thechileman (or possibly the regular variant, but it claims to show chinense pods and they're hard to see), while chileplants.com shows something that looks longer and more wrinkled.

As if it couldn't get any worse, for the regular Cumari Praetermissium entry in thechileman's database, it says "a Capsicum Chinense version is also available (note Chinense pods are shown here)"... meaning there really are two of the same variety, in different species? Huh?!? And doing a Web search seems to produce different image results (different looking peppers) as well (small red peppers).

Can anyone clear this up? This has got to be the most confusing pepper I've ever heard of... nothing but conflicting and incomplete info. Is the plant at chileplants.com not the right one? It claims to be a Chinense variant, as does Peppermania's, but they sure aren't as tiny or the same shape. I most definitely can't get a plant this year, but I'm seriously considering trying next year. I'd like to go the "easy" route (order live plants from chileplants.com) with my luck growing from seeds and lack of a decent light setup, but I might just have to find some place selling seeds and try.

By the way, here are some of the links I used:

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=cumari&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any [the three (four?) plants in thechileman's database]
http://www.peppermania.com/chinense_6.html [the pic various threads on this forum show of the plant]
http://www.chileplants.com/search.a...nID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed [the plant chileplants.com sells]

Chile taxonomy sucks in general and you have just found one of the propblems.

Below is a cumari/yellow bird/charapita/about 10 other names. What I do know is that this is a chinense and is extremely fruity

yellowb16.jpg

willard3 said:
Chile taxonomy sucks in general and you have just found one of the propblems.

Below is a cumari/yellow bird/charapita/about 10 other names. What I do know is that this is a chinense and is extremely fruity

Heh, yeah. I finally got the Nagas straightened out (took a while, but I finally figured them out...), and now found something even worse. I noticed that the naming is ridiculous. Thanks for the clarification. Below is something I just looked up a few minutes ago after getting home:

http://www.chileplants.com/search.a...nID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

It looks similar, but it goes by the name Pimento de Chiero. Not sure if it's the same thing though.

Edit: Now that I examine more closely... they're definitely different. They're darker green when unripe and are longer. This sucks.

I am growing a cumari purchased off ebay from the chiliman. His seed packet does not list the species only that its from brazil small yellow pea-sized pods. I too, wonder which it is. I hope it is the one that willard posted.

Mike

This is my first year growing Cumari and Cumari Pollux, My understanding is that Cumari is yellow and Chinense, and the Cumari Pollux is red and Pratermissum. So I'm guessing that it depends on the "last name" as to the different peppers.I dont have a clue about the other Cumari types. It's interesting though ,can't wait to hear some more on the subject.

Last year I had two types of Cumari.
There is a praetermissum variety that is called Cumari Verdadeira. Which means something like "True Cumari". My plant was very tall and produced lots of small red fruits with a very uncommon but also very good flavour.
The chinense variety is called Cumari do Pará. It produces a large amount of small yellow pods that are very fruity and hot as already shown in this thread.
The Pimento de Chiero you mentioned is actually named Pimenta de Cheiro or Pimento Cheiro Luna (commercial). I had this variety last year as well and what I can say is that it seems to me as if these two varieties are very similar but not identical.

Cumari is a small town in Brazil where several types of peppers originate. It seems a lot of different Brazilian peppers get named after their location causing some confusion

philipp.der.indianer is right. The wild one is the praetermissum and it's red. The yellow is C. Chinense and it's called Cumari do Pará. If I'm not wrong there's a Cumari C. Baccatum too.

POTAWIE is almost right. The city has the name Cumari because of the pepper.

cumari do para chinense
cumaridopara7.jpg

cumaridopara2.jpg

Cumari praetermissum
cumari6.jpg

cumari.jpg

there are a few more, got 1 a bird has to eat then shit before it Grows (dunno how gonna work that 1) wouldn't have a clue bout them as get them from Dudes in Brazil that can't speak english.. havent tried a Red Cumari yet, tested the cumari do para other week, just didn't post the test.. Jarred my 2 Yr old ate a Whole Cumari other day. I get home "he's eaten something hot look" aw poor lil dude, come here sit down(gets milk) sit down and he's pointing "hot hot" at mouth, so hand milk, he has a sip then stops. "hot hot" again so has more, finish's glass.. you ok now mate? shakes head "hot hot" so bit more Milk. so now he's ok... "Jarred, can you show me what you ate? what chilli you had" nods and tottles off out back, goes round side and Points at the Cumari. hahahahaha go little dude can add that 1 to the List yave tried.

theHippySeedCo said:
cumari do para chinense
cumaridopara7.jpg

cumaridopara2.jpg

Cumari praetermissum
cumari6.jpg

cumari.jpg

there are a few more, got 1 a bird has to eat then shit before it Grows (dunno how gonna work that 1) wouldn't have a clue bout them as get them from Dudes in Brazil that can't speak english.. havent tried a Red Cumari yet, tested the cumari do para other week, just didn't post the test.. Jarred my 2 Yr old ate a Whole Cumari other day. I get home "he's eaten something hot look" aw poor lil dude, come here sit down(gets milk) sit down and he's pointing "hot hot" at mouth, so hand milk, he has a sip then stops. "hot hot" again so has more, finish's glass.. you ok now mate? shakes head "hot hot" so bit more Milk. so now he's ok... "Jarred, can you show me what you ate? what chilli you had" nods and tottles off out back, goes round side and Points at the Cumari. hahahahaha go little dude can add that 1 to the List yave tried.

Good thing he didn't grab any superhots mate.

What chililover has posted rang a bell .
The fruits that I had collected from Bangalore under the name 'Lavanga Meruppakai" resemble cumari do para chinense with some pods slightly longish.And ripe ones were orangish red and its heat was typical of chinense.
Now I am regreting why I did not hide them properly.

They are great to eat and have wonderful heat.

NJA

I also grew these 2 this season, next season I have 4 other varieties of Cumari to grow

Cumari Verdadeira: C. Praetermissum

IMG_5041.jpg

Cumari Do Para: C.Chinense

CumaridoPara.jpg

In case anyone is interested, I think I finally (partially) solved the Cumari puzzle and found what appears to either be the same plant, or something extremely similar. I decided to post my findings here, where I originally asked to begin with.

My plants for this year came in a few days ago from ChilePlants.com, along with a notice of a sale that I decided to look into, so I headed over to their site and brought up a listing of all available plants. One plant looked oddly similar to the pictures I've seen of the Cumari--tiny, round yellow peppers and small leaves, labeled as a Chinense but it was called the Wild Brazil. Curious and hopeful that I finally found the one, I did a search on thechileman.org's database for the plant, and found the following description:

"WILD BRAZIL

Species: Chinense Origin: Brazil Heat: Very Hot

1/3" diameter round, yellow, erect fruits on spreading 1' tall x 2½' wide plants with small leaves; fruits hot with tropical fruit aroma; seems identical to Cumari."

So, after all this searching, I think I finally found the one. I was going to take advantage of the sale and order one, but it seems they've sold out (only one day before the sale begins). Oh well... it's on my list to try for sure next year. Can't wait to try it.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?ProductCode=CHIWBR&SearchButton=Pressed ["Wild Brazil" plant page at ChilePlants.com]
http://www.thechileman.org/results....l&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search ["Wild Brazil" database entry at thechileman.org]

UltraZelda64,

This is the Wild Brazil I have growing this year. I received the seeds a few years ago (on another Forum) from someone who is a member here as well. If you'd like to purchase the original seed, they can be found here. If you'd like some seeds (open pollinated) from this plant, send me a PM with info and I'll send them out in a few weeks or so. If you're no longer interested.....nevermind. :lol:

Wild Brazil
WildBrazil-1.jpg

I was looking forward to trying the cumari seeds I bought from Peppermania
last December. None of them germinated. I had no problems with the other
seeds I ordered from Peppermania. What's the secret to germinating cumari
seeds.

Downriver, I would be interested in your OP Cumari seeds if UltraZelda doesn't
want them. Can trade or do postage.

recieved seeds from brito, was wondering which one i got. guess i'll find out after growing them out first. first seed germinated just the other day after 5 weeks.

Downriver, I would be interested in your OP Cumari seeds if UltraZelda doesn't
want them. Can trade or do postage.

Send me a PM w/info. It will still be a few weeks before I get to it though.

Seeds mail this morning. Enjoy.

Back