• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Curiouser and curiouser; seedlings, 2 genuine leaves, 2nd set comes out...

...yellow...and then, as they grow, they turn a very healthy green. My soil is ph 5 - 6 and composed of; 60% potting mix (soil and compost?), 20% vermi-compost, and 20% milled, aged (more than 1 year) cow manure. I'm not worried per se, but curious as to why this happens? Any ideas?
The plants are fine, but it's this sickly looking yellow that's a mystery.

Before I start, I have absolutely no scientific evidenceof this, but.....
The "sickly looking yellow is normal, it's not as bad as it might look. It just looks worse as opposed to the deep green of the more mature leaves. The yellow-ish colour is just new groth which has not yet made the adaptation to light. But having said that plants actually develope new growth according to the surroundings before it actually comes out, so I guess this is just the final stage of the new growth adapting to it's surroundings....
If I am wrong on this please feel free to correct me.
These are just all assumptions made from all the things I have read and experienced.

Well, that sounds reasonable; except it's only my (oops, I should have included this before, my bad) orange Habaneros that are behaving this way.
My Costa Rica Reds are in another mix and they don't go through this stage.
Anyway, thanks for the input jolokia_jas. Lets see what else shows up.

No worries, I curently have 24 seedlings + (some twins) and every last one them that have their first true leaves appear to be yellow-ish. Just another thought, it could be the lighting.... All mine are under lights (4500K I think) but they are growing at a great rate of knots!!!

Hi,jolokia_jas,
I'm in Thailand, so the only thing I worry about light is, too much! Neither of my varieties can handle the full Thai sun for all day. I've been dealing with 38c to 41c for 2 weeks now and it's a killer (both peppers and us humans). Before that it's been 37c - 39c for 65 days straight. So any way, I've got plenty of shade or sun; however one likes it. By the way; this is the hottest summer in 8 years here.

If you're talking 2nd set of true leaves then it's not a problem.

Here's a 7Pod grown in coco coir, fed with plain water for 3 weeks and drawing main nutrients from whatever its mother gave it. Yellow leaves.
7pod01.jpg

After being fed with regular nutrients all old and new growth comes out green.
7pod02.jpg

Back