• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Curled Leaves?

Usually I have good success with peppers in my raised wooden bed. The seeds are usually good stock and disease and pest resistant. This season I have noticed that a few of my plants have small curled leaves just to top of them. The lower leaves are all large and healthy. I don't see any leaf discoloration to indicate a virus or fungus. And there aren't holes or missing edges to indicate typical pests munching on them. It's just all of the leaves on the top-most branches are tiny and curled. Attaching a pic. 

The affected plants are Trinidad Scorpion and Tabasco. The surrounding plants seem to be fine. I haven't seen aphids or other insects around any of them that much. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• curled.jpg
    curled.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 129
You have some awfully big bottom leaves, and they get progressively smaller going up the stem.  I typically take this as an indication that the caretaker is an aggressive feeder.  Have you been liberal with the ferts/nutes?

Not lately at all. Back a month or more ago I would hit them with diluted Buddha Gold organic liquid. Maybe once every 2 weeks. I read on here about small mites causing this kind of damage. I have some Neem spray coming tomorrow and will try spraying them with that. Also read about Potato Virus Y causing something similar. Although the topmost leaves aren't discolored at all. Just curled up and small. Water these guys daily just a bit since it's been a dry month or two. 

Broad mites are always a possibility, but the growth habit stands out for me.  Typically, broad mite damage is only on the newest growth, and it tends to stop all growth cold.  So, that spindly end wouldn't have likely gotten spindly.  It also would be bronzed and the leaves thickened, with all new terminal buds turning brown, and falling off.

gregarican said:
I have been growing hot peppers for the past 17 years,  This year I have ripening Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, Cayenne, Datil, Chinese 5-Color, Macedonian, Aji Ayucllo, Brazilian Starfish, Filius Blue, and Tabasco. 

So I have raised wooden beds, with seedlings having been inside for roughly a month before I can put them outside.
I have two questions......Only two plants out of how many are you having this issue with? Are you treating all these plants the same?

These are the only plants that look this way, and all were planted around the same time, in the same area, fertilized the same, and watered the same. I did have someone mention maybe these two plants need another shot of magnesium perhaps so I might dilute some Epson salts and give that a try. The fruit seems to be setting okay which is good!

Ugh...  The Epsom salt "fix" strikes again...
Plants exhibiting mag deficiency would not be holding onto their lower leaves quite so proudly, and you'd be having some discoloration.  Especially with soil borne plants, you're very unlikely to be seeing single nutrient deficiencies.
Let's go back to that pot shop solution that you applied a little while back.  Just curious if you checked the pH of the solution before laying it down? 

gregarican said:
These are the only plants that look this way, and all were planted around the same time, in the same area, fertilized the same, and watered the same.

I did have someone mention maybe these two plants need another shot of magnesium perhaps so I might dilute some Epson salts and give that a try. 

Out of curiosity, are these both C. chinense or C. annuum? Or one of each?

Back