Curried Goat

I am going to a new Jamaican restaurant tomorrow which has a special on Saturday of Curried Goat. I have never had goat. Can anyone tell me what to expect. I will take and post pics afterward.

Oh, I know the recipe. I already looked that up. I'm wondering if I just eat what they give me or tell them extra spicy. I also was wondering about goat. So thanks for that Quad.

I'd say ask 'em...if anything ya could get some chiles on the side to perk it up. Or just bring sum of yer own sauce in case they fail.

Depending on the goat and cut, could be stringy and tough and more goaty aroma than lamb. Probably domestic milch goats which should be mild. If they cook it low and slow or just slow, should be okay tender. Marinades and spices should break it down. Looking forward to the review Jay.

Yeah, uncle used to cook goat in a crock pot..came out nice if non-spicy.

(he thinks ginger is too spicy...)

texas blues said:
Ginger? You mean MaryAnn. She was the real hotty hot.

werd.gif

I can see her doing a gr8 naughty schoolgirl with those pigtails...:cool:

when you try jerk chicken do you need extra heat to spicy it up? If so them you'll prob need extra heat in the goat.
I've had it a few times from a caribbean and i never find it hot but it does have great flavour, i like making it myself so i can ramp up the heat a bit.
For best results it needs to be cooked long and slow, as for taste i'd say it's a cross between beef and lamb, it has the texture and crumbles like lamb but has a slight beefy flavour.
All i can say is you won't be disappointed and you will want goat on your menu again!

I have eaten goat before and it was smoked with mesquite and the spice rub that was used had a fair amount of heat to it. I would recommend it to anyone. However, if it is cooked wrong, it turns really tough.

JayT,

Jamaican Curried Goat is real nice. The goat is stewed for a long time and usually has veggies added , besides the onion and green onions. More than likely is won't be super hot. They are cooking for the public. The way that it's cooked they couldn't make yours hotter like a Thai place could. If you're lucky they might have a Scotch Bonnet they could toss on your plate. Or a hot sauce like Graces sitting around. If worried bring your own.

If they cook it true Yardie style , WATCH OUT for the bones !!!!! The first time I ate it I was starved and dove in like a mad man. All of a sudden a bone , like a sharp broken pork chop bone almost went thru the roof of my mouth !!

Peace , enjoy and please tell us about your dinner out
P. Dreadie

I was going to say the same thing about the bones. Every time I've had curried goat, I loved the flavor but got way more bones than meat which turned me off eating it again

Ease Up !! You gwan Love it !! Seen !! And I hope you get more meat than POTAWIE did. He got there late me thinks !!

Peace & enjoy,
P. Dreadie

Well, I tried the goat. I think it was pretty good. It was tender and there was a lot of meat. It was served with some mixed steamed veggies and rice with a few beans. The curry was not hot at all. I mean none. He did have a homemade scotch bonnet sauce there that I liked. The consistancy of the curry however was a little oily and left me with a gummy filmy feeling in my mouth. I would eat it again, but not something I will rave about.

Sorry, I forgot the camera so no pics.

I imagine they also have jerk chicken. That's probably my favorite Jamaican dish if they do it right.

Yes they do, but I have had that many times before, including in Jamaica, so I wanted to try something I have never had.

JayT ,

I'm glad you liked it for the most part. To bad it was oily and not at least a little hot . With this thread I now want some goat !! I'll have to go run down the Mexican goat dudes ........

Peace,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie said:
JayT ,

I'm glad you liked it for the most part. To bad it was oily and not at least a little hot . With this thread I now want some goat !! I'll have to go run down the Mexican goat dudes ........

Peace,
P. Dreadie

When I was in high school in the Rio Grande Valley, a bunch of Mexican goats got onto our property and we took care of them for a couple months until the owner was found. They were musky as hell and would ram you every chance they got. A rowdy lot they were. I remember getting a head butt to the crotch.....not fun. Our milch goats on the other hand were clean smelling and absolute sweetheart's. Like loyal loving dogs.

The barbeqoa goat that I had in the valley was often greasy and tough. I had cobrito (bbq kid) on a couple occasions and found it to be clean and tender and most excellent!

Back