• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Curry Goat

This is really close to authentic Jamaican curried goat. The curry powder i used is a little different but has no added salt

Wash the goat meat in a little vinegar or lime juice and water. This will draw out some of the blood. Dont need to get overly fancy. Couple tbs of vinegar and a little water. Mix it up for a minute and rinse again with plain water.

A little over 2lbs of goat meat with a little bit of bone
2 Tbs myspicesage vadouvan curry powder.....really like this blend....add fresh thyme, ground ginger and ground allspice if using most other curry blends.
2 Tsp mild Korean pepper flakes since my curry powder is really mild.
Almost 3/4 cup of minced red onion
3 chopped scallions
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 Tbs soy sauce......not totally authentic but im omitting the salt.

Mix it all up and let it set in the fridge overnight. Make sure its all coated really well.
hYQy9Wh.jpg

Thank you , you must have been reading my mind  or my google search history !
I 've been looking for a good goat curry recipe.
I have some Springbok ( our local antelope/deer/venison ) neck cuts and I want to make the best of it.

Sorry, i had to go vote in our primary before the lunch crowd hits the polls.

After the meat is marinated its going to go something like this.

Brown the meat in a little oil and reserve all the stuff in the marinade bowl. We are going to rinse it out with the stock/water that will be added.

Remove the meat from the pan and deglaze with

Minced onion. Im also adding Aji Dulce and/or Trinidad perfume to the "sofrito" A little diced tomato is nice too or couple tbs of paste.
Add the meat back to the pan
Add additional curry powder. About another 2tbs depending on taste
Rinse out the bowl and add it to the pan. I prefer some chicken stock.
Bring to a boil for a couple minutes to help infuse the meat and break down the onions.

Add more stock, water, coconut milk or whatever mix of the 3 your like. Some fresh thyme if you have it. You want enough liquid to roughly cover the meat.
Add a bonnet, half of one minced for kinda spicy, whole floater for mildish or whatever trips your trigger.....If using a floater remove it when its spicy enough for you.
Cook on a medium simmer...Probably gunna take at least a hour and a half or 2 hours to get close.
Salt and pepper to your taste

When the meat is nearly ready add some taters, carrot and additional onions last if you like them more firm. I prefer the onions with a nice bite left in them and carrots just barely tender.
Add some more scallions a couple minutes before serving or as a garnish.
Shado Beni or Cilantro as a optional garnish.

Serve with Rice and Peas or long grain rice cooked with some coconut water. Jasmine or basmati work REALLY well too. The aroma of rice cooked with the coconut compliments the curry perfectly.

Simple Rice and Peas recipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtJ0aWl_nY

karoo said:
Thank you , you must have been reading my mind  or my google search history !
I 've been looking for a good goat curry recipe.
I have some Springbok ( our local antelope/deer/venison ) neck cuts and I want to make the best of it.

Wild game is a fantastic choice to replace goat meat. The flavor is closer to goat than beef. Lamb can also be used but im not a fan. Venison is excellent for curry and antelope should be super good too. Ive only had Pronghorn antelope and im sure it would be fine. Goat meat is normally sold here frozen and cut into cubes....bones included. The bone helps make a richer stock.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Sorry, i had to go vote in our primary before the lunch crowd hits the polls.

After the meat is marinated its going to go something like this.

Brown the meat in a little oil and reserve all the stuff in the marinade bowl. We are going to rinse it out with the stock/water that will be added.

Remove the meat from the pan and deglaze with

Minced onion. Im also adding Aji Dulce and/or Trinidad perfume to the "sofrito" A little diced tomato is nice too or couple tbs of paste.
Add the meat back to the pan
Add additional curry powder. About another 2tbs depending on taste
Rinse out the bowl and add it to the pan. I prefer some chicken stock.
Bring to a boil for a couple minutes to help infuse the meat and break down the onions.

Add more stock, water, coconut milk or whatever mix of the 3 your like. Some fresh thyme if you have it. You want enough liquid to roughly cover the meat.
Add a bonnet, half of one minced for kinda spicy, whole floater for mildish or whatever trips your trigger.....If using a floater remove it when its spicy enough for you.
Cook on a medium simmer...Probably gunna take at least a hour and a half or 2 hours to get close.
Salt and pepper to your taste

When the meat is nearly ready add some taters, carrot and additional onions last if you like them more firm. I prefer the onions with a nice bite left in them and carrots just barely tender.
Add some more scallions a couple minutes before serving or as a garnish.
Shado Beni or Cilantro as a optional garnish.

Serve with Rice and Peas or long grain rice cooked with some coconut water. Jasmine or basmati work REALLY well too. The aroma of rice cooked with the coconut compliments the curry perfectly.

Simple Rice and Peas recipe

I was wondering where the other part of the post went  :rolleyes:

Looks great mate, but no pics of it on the plate?

I have a freezer full of wild goat and will give it a try.

The "sofrito"
pctd6ma.jpg

75txLxE.jpg

PrIhcVC.jpg

The marinated meat and the leftovers from the marinade
Se5hbKs.jpg

Combined after the meat was browned. Had to be more careful not to burn the garlic so its not as browned as i prefer.
DwzC5gX.jpg

Added some stock (about a quart) and coconut cream powda.
Y385sCM.jpg

Waiting on it to get tendah so i can add more onion, carrot, sweet red bell and Yukon Golds.
gie4cVh.jpg

ErnLQVz.jpg

Back