food Curry Recipe

CURRY

Ingredients:
  • 1 kg gravy beef (diced) / chicken / lamb (your choice)
  • 1 medium onion (chopped)
  • 1 clove garlic (sliced)
  • 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
  • 1 teaspoon sliced/grated ginger
  • 2 teaspoons chilli powder*
  • 3 teaspoons roasted/dark roasted curry powder*
  • 2 tablespoons each of :
    • Marinade Sauce (the teriyaki marinade sauce works well)
    • Worchestershire Sauce
    • Soy Sauce
    • White or brown vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 beef stock cubes or equiv. stock powder
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Pinch of salt
  • ¼ cup water (optional)
  • One can of Light and Creamy Carnation Milk or alternatively use cream

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the curry leaves, onions, garlic and ginger.
Stir and cover while it fries (this releases and traps all the flavours).
Add the chilli and fry till it turns a brownish red.
Add the curry powder and stir quickly. (Don’t leave the curry powder to fry for too long as it might burn as it is already roasted). Add more oil if necessary.
Add the beef and stir until it is all coated with the fried ingredients.
Add all the sauces and beef stock cube & pinch of salt.
Cover and bring to boil.
Cook on low (covered) for half and hour or until meat is tender (checking every now and then to make sure it does not burn). Add the ¼ cup (or more) of water if needed.
Leave lid open (to let some of the liquid evaporate) until you have a nice, thick residue.
Add the juice of half a lemon. (Taste to see if you require more salt).
Add the Carnation Milk. Take pan off the stove immediately it starts to simmer.

* available from all Sri Lankan or Indian stores. Or you can make your own.

TIP: Add more chilli powder or chilli pieces for a hotter curry.

NOTE:
Some people prefer not adding milk. Milk gives you a “smoother” curry. Also, it takes away some of the heat (just in case you have been heavy handed with the chilli)!

Potatoes also go well in this dish... add your potatoes after you've added in the vinegar etc and let them simmer with the meat.

Chicken Curry:
IMG_2428.jpg

Curry Leaf Plant:
Picture399.jpg

mmm. looks like nice curry. i had some hot japanese golden curry just the other day, yet the japanese see hot as we see mild. lol

mel said:
when I get some seeds I'll be happy to share :)

I would be forever grateful if you would! I can't get seeds ANYwhere here in Canada. I've found a few places in the US that sells curry trees, but you need to wait until the weather is above 10c consistently, can make a minimum order of $250 and are willing to pay the import fees that hover somewhere around $200. Then you have taxes and express shipping on top of that.

woah!! that is massively expensive!! I was reading that curry trees are actually quite invasive as they drop a heap of seeds and therefore should be easy to grow... I had two baby curry trees in my pot.. i've already shared one but i dont think it'd make the trip to canada, plus customs wouldnt be too happy :) I just have to watch out for when it starts seeding and i'll collect em for you :)

It's stupid expensive. I'm not too concerned about them being invasive. They aren't a species that'll survive growing on their own in my climate. Tropical trees don't do well on their own in the Great White North ;). I would really appreciate it if you could keep me in mind when you get some seeds. We can work something out.

Back