Cutting Board/Block Maintenance

I got my first "Boos Block" cutting board (20x15x2.25", hard maple) a few weeks ago. Inside the wrapping, it said that it was already treated with their "Mystery Oil" and Board Cream. The first time I used it, I washed it (by hand) with light dish soap, let it dry, carved a brisket, washed it again, let it dry, and put it away.

They (Boos) say that, a minimum of once a month, you need to retreat it with the oil and cream. Here I am, a few weeks later, and I've been oiling the thing for two days. Light coat, probably 3x on each side and edges so far. I guess you're supposed to oil it and let it dry overnight, then oil any dry spots again (with a light coat), then wipe off the excess the following morning.

My situation is: this is my first time oiling it, and I've already gone through a full 12oz bottle of oil, and probably another 3-4oz of a second bottle, with no end in sight. I can tell that it IS absorbing it (some parts look darker and shinier than others), but there are still some dry spots, so I think I have to hit it again. Tonight will be my third night applying oil, and I've yet to see any "excess" oil pooling up to be wiped off, although it is darkening a tad.

Is this common for the very first oiling? Seems like a lot of oil already, no? 16oz? Or am I just being impatient?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

You should only need to oil MAX once per month, and minimum, 1-2 times a year, based on board usage. Are you letting it soak in overnight? Is it petroleum-based? (mineral oil), as, you may want to look into beeswax paste which you may find also performs better...

Yup, "Cutting Board" (mineral) oil. I squirt a few ounces onto the board, then smooth it out (even coat) with a rag/paper towel, then let it dry overnight. In the morning, the thing is practically bone dry. Yesterday, I gave it a light coat 3-4 times, and it's still not pooling. Every YouTube video I've seen on this process has had pools of oil leftover, sitting on top of the board the next morning. Mine, not so much, haha

It is soaking it up, but I thought by now (16oz later) I'd see it pooling up.

Think it's because it's 2.25" thick and this is the initial (besides the factory) oiling?

I think you're over analyzing. I never had pools. You don't want pools. Just "trust" it is in there. ;) This is like overwatering plants lol!

That actually makes a lot of sense, Terry. Thanks. I hadn't thought about that. Thankfully, I don't think I'm at that point yet.

Maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead, and just hit it with the board cream tomorrow

While it took a while to get comfortable with it, I stopped using soap on my cuttings boards.

I rinse them under a little warm water, not until they are clean, and then smear around the fats/oils until even and dry with a papertowel ...

I stand them on a side for an hour, and then flip and put back ...

I can't remember the last time I oiled the boards, and both are holding up pretty well ...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all ...

You are using more oil per treatment than mine have seen in their lifetime, I think! :D

grantmichaels said:
I rinse them under a little warm water, not until they are clean, and then smear around the fats/oils until even and dry with a papertowel ...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all ...
^ I'm a FIRM believer in that too :)

grantmichaels said:
You are using more oil per treatment than mine have seen in their lifetime, I think! :D
I know, right?! Every time I put more oil on it, I kept thinking, "If I have to keep this up monthly, it's gonna cost me like $30-$40/month just to maintain this freakin' thing.....that's like having another bill I don't want/need.....WTF.....this is bullshit.....I didn't sign up for this shit....." ;)

Thanks for the tips, everybody
:cheers:

Back