Cutting issue: Yellowing Leaves/Drop

Read a few cutting threads and really haven't found a straight answer. 
Started these cuttings on 11/27 and they were mostly fine until, about 10 days in, I started misting only once a day. Then I started getting yellowing leaves (random in age) starting from the edge and working its way inward generally molted, with eventual leaf drop. 

Cuttings are in doubled solo-cups in a 50/50 perlite/verm mix and were dipped in TakeRoot prior when transferred. I gave each cup just a splash of weak, diluted nutes after the symptoms occurred, but otherwise just water, bottom fed.  No sign of roots at the cup bottoms yet, but I haven't unearthed any to really check.

Is this just a symptom of dehydration or is there something else I should be concerned with?
Thanks. 

1. Sanitized the tools.
2. Readied 3% Hydrogen Peroxide dip, tea soak, and hormone dip.
3. Took cuttings, dipped in Peroxide, soaked in tea.
4. Cleanup up cuttings, dipped in hormone, set in holes that were premade in the pre- teasoaked media.
5. Cover with humidity dome.

Was there a lot of leaves on the cuttings? The cuttings will need enough root mass to support the vegetation. If there are no roots, the amount of vegetation should be less

Powelly said:
Was there a lot of leaves on the cuttings? The cuttings will need enough root mass to support the vegetation. If there are no roots, the amount of vegetation should be less
I left most of the younger ones, which was about 20-30% of the whole, with some cuttings having no leaves at all. This African Bird's Eye Piri-Piri has fairly small leaves to begin with. Most of them have sprouted new leaves and I've also done a little removal of older leaves as these came in. I've also been wondering about my leaf ratio which lead me to the conclusion I offered here. 
I'm probably going to remove all the yellowing ones tonight and just keep misting it for a few days as it's hard to tell if it's halted since I began misting more frequently again. 

What I learned during my days growing weed when i was younger that also applies to my nowadays pepper growing is to keep it simple and not babying them.

I have a 100% success rate on pepper this far by only doing this;

Cut the clone and scratch the stem a bit above the cut
Dip it in gel if you want, haven't really seen a difference between using rooting hormone versus not using it
Remove all leafs except the ones on the top
Place it in a cup with some water
Change water every 3-4 days and leave it alone when not doing this
Once you have a few roots shooting out add a very light nutrient solution which will increase the growth rate of roots

20181228_122913.jpg
20181228_122927.jpg

Caranx said:
What I learned during my days growing weed when i was younger that also applies to my nowadays pepper growing is to keep it simple and not babying them.

I have a 100% success rate on pepper this far by only doing this;

Cut the clone and scratch the stem a bit above the cut
Dip it in gel if you want, haven't really seen a difference between using rooting hormone versus not using it
Remove all leafs except the ones on the top
Place it in a cup with some water
Change water every 3-4 days and leave it alone when not doing this
Once you have a few roots shooting out add a very light nutrient solution which will increase the growth rate of roots

Yes, maybe I'm overthinking it a little, given my failure this summer with water. I was talking to the local hydroponic shop owner yesterday and he said cool water is the secret and warm water will cause them to mush/rot. I was considering just using a fish tank aerator to make a bubble box. 
When you say remove all except the top leaves. About how many leaves are you leaving? 

I experienced same rooting failure, simple is best. Unfortunately peppers are a difficult plant to root, Ive found that using a homemade hydro setup or aero garden works with better success. Where Im at, bugs can make it tough for seedlings and such so a hydro setup gets them up to a size that is much harder for bugs to destroy lol. Do away with misting, do what you did and change water every 3-4 days like Caranx said

As a control, I neglected to give nutes to 4 of the 12, feeding the rest. I also resumed misting all of them once or twice a day. I lost one control that was from a fairly aged cutting, and the other three are still struggling.. The eight that were given a weak nutrient mix have all struck and most look great with roots dangling out of the bottoms.
I'm going to call this a nutrient deficiency. 

vprxP26h.jpg

Back