• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Cutting the cheese

Another interesting cheese from Costco. IMO they did really well at achieving the blend of cheddar and gruyere although the cheddar is very young and takes a back seat. The texture is very close to gruyere but not upto the same quality as a cave aged. This one seems like it would be killer for a grilled cheese or just about any grilled/baked sammy. Overall its pretty mild but has a nice buttery flavor similar to a havarti. The nutty is obviously alpine inspired. Nothing at all overpowering about this cheese.

This would be an absolute gem with a short Kaltbach type aging but at $5.99/lb im not complaining. Its well worth the money.
FziKGd2.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Another interesting cheese from Costco. IMO they did really well at achieving the blend of cheddar and gruyere although the cheddar is very young and takes a back seat. The texture is very close to gruyere but not upto the same quality as a cave aged. This one seems like it would be killer for a grilled cheese or just about any grilled/baked sammy. Overall its pretty mild but has a nice buttery flavor similar to a havarti. The nutty is obviously alpine inspired. Nothing at all overpowering about this cheese.

This would be an absolute gem with a short Kaltbach type aging but at $5.99/lb im not complaining. Its well worth the money.
FziKGd2.jpg
will check that out the wife works at Costco [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of the Costco near me also carry the Emmi Gruyere cheaper than i can find it anywhere. IIRC about the same price Alpha's Morning.

On a side note Costco online has the Sid Wainer English cheese collection again for $100 delivered. This set has a MSRP of around $250 and the Krystal Pure cave aged cheddar is absolutely KILLER. Those 2 500gram blocks retail for around $18 each and they can be very hard to find in the USA. By the time you pay shipping (if you can find it) you are upto a cloth bound price point.
https://www.costco.com/Sid-Wainer-and-Son-Ultimate-English-Cheese-Collection%2c10.25-lbs..product.100047256.html

Im not a big fan of blues but Stilton is my favorite. I would love to try a White Stilton and a plain Wensleydale. The one with cranberries reminded me of cheesecake filling. Quite good but not exactly my cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts

I saw a White Stilton in a supermarket but the price change my mind, was just a small piece, and it had mango in it, I like the purity of cheese lol.

Il never forget the story of Wallace and Grommet saving the Wensleydale Company, never tried their stuff, haven't seen it here.

I normally dont buy any cheese with additions like fruit or herbs. PepperJack, Hatch Gouda or other spicy cheese would be the exception. Im not even a huge fan of smoked cheese although i do like smoked Gouda. Fresh Thyme Market had some on sale the other day. It was quite good and cheap. IIRC i paid under $3/lb for it.

I don't consider myself an expert on cheese by any means, but I have had some awesome cheeses both from specialty shops and stores selling the imported.  There is one that stands out in my mind, it is an extra aged cheddar from Wisconsin that they sell up near sausage camp in wheels (they cut off slices for you).  That stuff is amazing.  I also love smoked cheeses from a butcher shop I know.  I have never gotten into the cave aged stuff yet, but I might one day..

Whoa! They cut of slices at sausage camp? :eek:

There are some really good domestic cheddars. Some as old as 7yrs...maybe even a few that are older. Grafton has a couple older cheddars but they are very uncommon outside specialty shops. Deer Creek of Wisconsin has a 7yr Grand Reserve that is supposed to be outstanding. I got to sample the Boars Head 1000day cheddar the other day. Its a Canadian cheddar and surprisingly good too.

I tell you what though....for the money....The Kerrygold Reserve Irish 2yr cheddar is phenomenal and available all over. Its kinda cheap and i really dont think you will find a better cheddar for this kind of money.  On sale ive been able to get a 7oz block for about $5. Might have been $4 but its well worth it either way.
reserve-cheddar-iso.jpg

If you have a specialty cheese shop nearby....ask to sample some "bandaged" or cloth bound cheddar. They are not as old as some but the flavor is great. The prices get pretty crazy for them. Cabots cloth bound is over $20/lb and its not even close to the most expensive ive seen.

Got a steal on a 9yr old cheddar. Needless to say its INTENSE and the amount of crystals is just crazy. While it is sharp, that is not the slap you in yo face dominant flavor you would expect. It has a almost burnt nut like flavor that stands up to the sharp with authority. Its much creamer too than i would have imagined.

I will need to get some better pics once imgur quits giving me upload problems.

Attachments

• P1030482.jpg
    P1030482.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 103
Back