• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cuttings directly into DWC Hydro, how tall should they be?

I have a couple of peppers that have HUGE side shoots coming out from them my Chocolate Bhut has about 9 main stems all fairly large sized, and
those side shoots are pushing outside my area of light.

If I clip them, how low should I go from the main stem? they are just getting to wide, and I don't want to waste the completely healthy plant, so I figured
I would drop them into a DWC hydro and see if they root?

I have rooting powder, how tall should these clippings be when I put them into the DWC?

some of my side shoots are 1.5 feet long probably, do I crop the clippings to a few modes tall and cut the leaves so they do not draw all the nutrients?

also these shoots have buds on them but I'm getting lots of dropped buds/flowers because I screwed up my hydro formulation.

thanks

I start mine in rock wool, cuttings are taken from the most vigorous shoots, last 8" , new growth only , no brown woody stems, you could probably go longer as yours would be in a bucket, mine would be to top heavy in the cubes, I use a sterile xacto kninfe to cut and rooting gel, that clings better than the powder.
Sorry I can't help you with the "hydro" questions......

whatever it is you try please let us know how it goes as this might also be something i am interested in trying in the future as i have 10 more DWC buckets not in use.

I'm just going to slice them pretty short, and put a few in a dwc and see what happens.. ill cross slice it like PIC 1 said.

I will just mist them a few times a day, and cut them like others do with MJ plants,
so they dont suck the life out of them.

I have a Peter pepper I recently put into a hydro bucket, going to attempt to create a peach peter pepper.. LOL... figured it would be a novelty if I can make it happen.

I'm just going to slice them pretty short, and put a few in a dwc and see what happens.. ill cross slice it like PIC 1 said.

I will just mist them a few times a day, and cut them like others do with MJ plants,
so they dont suck the life out of them.

I have a Peter pepper I recently put into a hydro bucket, going to attempt to create a peach peter pepper.. LOL... figured it would be a novelty if I can make it happen.
Since you seem to already be into the Deep water culture, I suggest you construct a bubble cloner. Simply throwing cuttings before they root won't get you anywhere.

I'd also recommend to anyone who's propagating clones, to use a starter juice or cloning mix , sprayed on the young cuttings will keep them hydrated, most also provide minerals and nutes, some have hormones...
I've had great survival rate with misting the cuttings.
They also respond faster when placed under lights.
There's nothing worse after going through all the prep....to end up with dehydrated, wimpy cuttings...

I'd also recommend to anyone who's propagating clones, to use a starter juice or cloning mix , sprayed on the young cuttings will keep them hydrated, most also provide minerals and nutes, some have hormones...
I've had great survival rate with misting the cuttings.
They also respond faster when placed under lights.
There's nothing worse after going through all the prep....to end up with dehydrated, wimpy cuttings...

What, pray tell, is Starter Juice?

Back