• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Cuttings Vs Seed for next years grow?

I have a few plants that will be ready very late this year.

I like the genetics of a couple of the pepper plants, and want to have plants that mimic the traits next year.

I'm going to attempt to over-winter the plants, as long as they are manageable size, but I also want to take clippings of them come next year, and
get them growing clones of the plants that I liked to increase yield.

at what part of the stem is optimal for cuttings and should leaves be trimmed off below a certain point.

what are your thoughts of cuttings vs seed?

also I know that in other plants like Salvia Divinorum, the plants have been grown from cuttings for so long viable seeds are not obtainable, has anyone here seen this in pepper
plants, by going the route of cuttings.

I know it would probably take hundreds of time of the plant not producing seeds, in the case of salvia, but just kind of wondering.

I haven't done much in the way of cuttings, but for those I have done, I have removed all except maybe the top 4 leaves. The idea behind this is that you want the plant to focus on creating and growing roots at first, rather than putting any energy into maintaining leaves, which will come later.

Check out Pepper-Guru's grow log, he has a good tutorial on taking clones. It's not terribly difficult, but not as easy as some plants like tomatoes or the indoor cash crop. I've made a few successful clones without rooting hormones or anything for humidity from branches I accidentally knocked off. I just made an ~inch long diagonal cut at the base of the stem, removed about half the leaves, then cut the remaining leaves so that only half of each leaf remained, then stuck it in a cup of water with some superthrive and moved it to potting mix after some roots started to appear.

I like the genetics of a couple of the pepper plants, and want to have plants that mimic the traits next year.

I'm going to attempt to over-winter the plants, as long as they are manageable size, but I also want to take clippings

at what part of the stem is optimal for cuttings and should leaves be trimmed off below a certain point.

what are your thoughts of cuttings vs seed?

also I know that in other plants like Salvia Divinorum, the plants have been grown from cuttings for so long viable seeds are not obtainable, has anyone here seen this in pepper
plants, by going the route of cuttings.

I know it would probably take hundreds of time of the plant not producing seeds, in the case of salvia, but just kind of wondering.
If you want the exact plant next year then by all means, you should take cuttings. :) Overwintering is another option, but you only get one of the same plants. The part of the stem you want is the newest growth tip and you will cut at least two nodes below that tip. Cutting vs seed = cuttings are always going to be what you want in order to recreate that gene that turned you on in the first place! Where seed, unless kept pure, could be something a bit different. Its all in your control of environment. Its hard to keep seeds 100% pure without tea bagging flowers, netting the plant, or distance between varieties.
Im not familiar with growing salvia, I have smoked it (wow), but never grown it. I know not one plant that refuses to go to seed/flower simply because of being cloned....so there ya got me, and that question seems like it will answer itself once you let nature take its course.

I haven't done much in the way of cuttings, but for those I have done, I have removed all except maybe the top 4 leaves. The idea behind this is that you want the plant to focus on creating and growing roots at first, rather than putting any energy into maintaining leaves, which will come later.
Yep. :)

Check out Pepper-Guru's grow log, he has a good tutorial on taking clones. It's not terribly difficult, but not as easy as some plants like tomatoes or the indoor cash crop. I've made a few successful clones without rooting hormones or anything for humidity from branches I accidentally knocked off. I just made an ~inch long diagonal cut at the base of the stem, removed about half the leaves, then cut the remaining leaves so that only half of each leaf remained, then stuck it in a cup of water with some superthrive and moved it to potting mix after some roots started to appear.
Peppers are slower most times than other plants, but still pretty quick compared to exotic varieties of plants, so its really a "whos who" type of thing and VERY easy in the grand scheme of all things horticulture. Good method Avon! :)

The terminal end of the stems are where you want to take cuttings from. The bigger the cutting you take, the bigger the plant you start wiith. However, you may want to shy away from a piece that is too woody as it may be more difficult to root. Leaves are ok and actually help promote root growth.

The piece that you'll stick in the dirt should be about 1 inch long and that is to provide stability. If you're going to apply a rooting hormone, consider a liquid over powder. Powder concentrations cannot be increased or decreased whereas liquids can. There are three basic types, k-IBA, IBA and NAA. Don't ask me how to spell the stuff this early in the morning. You'll want to look up the rooting hormone concentration in ppm for the desired plant. My guess would be that for pepper plants the concentration would be 3500ppm or less.

One thing to note, and I think is very important, is that the stem will not be able to uptake water until roots are developed. That is not to say that you shouldn't water them though. Until roots have developed, you want to keep as much moisture in the cutting as possible. The soil should remain damp but not soaking wet. You'll also want to keep the tops misted but they should be allowed to dry on the surface to prevent disease. And there is no need to fertilize either until you have roots.

It would also be wise to fertilize the mother plants well a day or so prior to taking cuttings so that it is full of nutrients. The mother plant should also be in good health.

Back