2 cans of chicken stock (or beef)
3 cans of tomato paste
1 can Ro-tel
2 tblsp cumin
3 tblsp hot mex chili pwdr
1 tblsp garlic pwdr
salt and pepper
1 large onion
assortment of peppers ( I use 5 jalepenos, 1 habanero, and one bell)
1 fresh tomato
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2-3 cups chopped cilantro
1 cup lime juice

The best thing about chili is you can basically throw anything in there and let it simmer and it turns out pretty damn good. I've been making chili for years and beat out my moms as the household favorite. I don't like to get too hot because it tends to take away from the flavor. Use this as a base and work your own magic on it and see what happens. I usually say the more cumin the better, just because I love that taste but give er hell and see how ya do.

Brown the sausage in a large stock pot. As it is cooking add all of the vegetables. As that is browning/cooking start browning the hamburger 1lb at a time. This makes it easier to transfer to the overall chili. Season the hamburger with salt and pepper. Once it is done, toss in with breakfast sausage and vegetables. Add the cans of Stock, Ro-tel, tomato paste, lime juice, 1tblsp cumin, 1 tblsp mex. hot chili pwdr, 1 tblsp garlic pwdr. Simmer covered on low for 45 minutes. Taste and see what you think. Add another tablespoon of cumin and chili powder. Cook another 2.5 hours. Taste. Check seasoning. Add final spices. Cook another hour and it's good to go. The leftovers the next day taste even better!!

Nuthin wrong with a bunch of cummin'...
Sounds like good chili. Im a Texas man, so I know me some good chili! lol. Have you tried using pulled pork? I also use every kind of bean I can get my hands on. For ME, the more beans the better. I think Im gonna have to make me some chili this week. Gotta lose some weight, so Im gonna have to go with some ground turkey.

Nuthin wrong with a bunch of cummin'...
Sounds like good chili. Im a Texas man, so I know me some good chili! lol. Have you tried using pulled pork? I also use every kind of bean I can get my hands on. For ME, the more beans the better. I think Im gonna have to make me some chili this week. Gotta lose some weight, so Im gonna have to go with some ground turkey.

I have used beans. Do sometimes. The beauty of chili is you can use so many different ingredients. Never used pulled pork but that sounds awesome. I have used tri tip and stew meat on a few occasions. I've used a combo of turkey and italian sausage and did some sort of italian style chili before as well. I love chili almost as much as I love wings...... :)

lmao...Yeah, pulled pork is good stuff. I also like fajita meat. Every once-in-awhile I will throw in a spearmint leaf. Takes some of the edge off of the "fierceness" of the chili, but doesnt take any of the actual heat itself away. I get REAL bad aacid, so it helps me a little bit.

I'm in the same boat. I get terrible heart burn. I keep the antacids handy all the time. Spearmint sounds interesting. Might have to try that one.

It'll be an acquired taste. Its not strong at all. FOR ME< it kicks down the acid that comes with the heat and tomato sauce.

Yeah what wasatch said BEER! Some times I even throw in some red wine. Where are the beans? Otherwise sounds awesome, never tried using breakfast sausage but might give it a try my next batch.

You can use beans if ya want.....I sometimes do as well. I never use to beer with my chili. Just because this tastes good and I just use it as an outline. Never fails for me.

I have an outline, meaning I use the same amount of seasonings but differ something everytime. I've used 3 pounds of tri tip before. I've done a white chicken chili. Even a venison and pork chili. One thing I think is that chili has to have a good amount of cumin. Just enough to get that nice taste to it.

Back