• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Damn Leggy Cukes Assistance Needed

So, got these Cucamelons going from seed this year and accidentally left them too far from the light.
Now that they are only a few weeks old can I bury them deep like with maters and peppers?
The google is not my friend in this case for some reason.
Thanks you guys.

Chewi said:
So, got these Cucamelons going from seed this year and accidentally left them too far from the light.
Now that they are only a few weeks old can I bury them deep like with maters and peppers?
The google is not my friend in this case for some reason.
Thanks you guys.

God dammit, do you happen to have any psychic skills in your disposal, as i just made this topic below to help you out?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67636-stem-burying-technique-for-chilis-to-improve-overall-growharvest-in-the-end-of-the-season/

I just responded to chilidudes post too. lol. I buried the stem of cucumbers last year with no problems. If you happen to have some rooting powder or you can buy some, put some of that on the stem before burying it just in case.

Edmick said:
I just responded to chilidudes post too. lol. I buried the stem of cucumbers last year with no problems. If you happen to have some rooting powder or you can buy some, put some of that on the stem before burying it just in case.

There is pretty much no need for the rooting powder, if the buried stem is still soft/young and not wooden like the older stem gets above the surface of the soil.

Chilidude said:

There is pretty much no need for the rooting powder, if the buried stem is still soft/young and not wooden like the older stem gets above the surface of the soil.

It works just fine without it. I just happen to have a bunch of powder so I use it. If anything, it may make it root a little faster.

YEP, there's no need to start cukes early. The soil temp dictates what happens even if the weather is good. Check soil temps first and then if you want to try to get a jump on plants then plant inside. I really think it's useless to try to get a jump on most plants except tomatoes , eggplants and peppers. If you grow eggplants then you should start those before peppers, they grow slow when young and then explode when the temps go up and the soil temp is above 65.

Gardening is a total learning experience. You have to figure out what works in your climate. You should also talk to some old timers and listen to what they say. I'm 52 and still learn every year but the journey is fun and I get better as time rolls on.

I go with LSUAG planting guide for the most part but I always plant early. I have 31 tomato plants in the garden along with cukes, rattlesnakes, yellow squash, zukes and beets. Another week and I'll see what the ground temp is and might put in a few sweet peppers. I do have to admit that we've been extremely warm for most of Feb and the plants are loving these temps.

But you also said that they're cucamelons. I'm growing them this year too but aren't they kind of a vine veggie that like to climb? shouldn't really matter if they're leggy in my opinion.

Leggy=weak plants. Doesn't matter what the plant is. Leggy=stretching for light=weak=startover.

It's too early in the year to start with weak plants, start more and if you think you can save the leggy ones then grow those too. I'm just trying to make a point, if you start off with bad, weak plants then don't expect great results. The first stage of growing makes all the difference in the season. You might be able to save them and they might grow and produce but I would bet that if you waited for the right soil temp and planted seed that those seeds would out produce and out grow those weak plants you started now. Try that and see, you'll be surprised.

Rajun Gardener said:
I go with LSUAG planting guide for the most part but I always plant early. I have 31 tomato plants in the garden along with cukes, rattlesnakes, yellow squash, zukes and beets. Another week and I'll see what the ground temp is and might put in a few sweet peppers. I do have to admit that we've been extremely warm for most of Feb and the plants are loving these temps.

Right there with ya, I have 36 maters to plant this season and 8 or 9 left to go.

LOL on the snakes, I think I finally fenced them out, but always a lookin'

Devv said:

Right there with ya, I have 36 maters to plant this season and 8 or 9 left to go.

LOL on the snakes, I think I finally fenced them out, but always a lookin'

Snakes? :stop: :mope: 

Yeah, as in Rattlesnakes. I'm in south Tejas; one watches where they step ;)

Especially when out in the boonies :confused: Which is where we are..

They don't want you near them, and I don't want to be near them. We have an agreement, at least I do :shh:

Back